Filter Pad

LucG

Small Fish
Dec 2, 2009
Over the last two weeks I have been having problems with my filter. It seems like the pad is getting dirty alot sooner that it should. I have a 50 gal with a hang on back filter. I havent been over feeding, and I'm pretty sure I'm not over stocked with only 6 cichlids. My levels seem fine as well.

What else could it be? I changed the pad one week ago as usual, and I noticed this morning that it is overflowing down the left side and not turning the bio wheel.

Feb 27, 2009
Over the last two weeks I have been having problems with my filter. It seems like the pad is getting dirty alot sooner that it should. I have a 50 gal with a hang on back filter. I havent been over feeding, and I'm pretty sure I'm not over stocked with only 6 cichlids. My levels seem fine as well.

What else could it be? I changed the pad one week ago as usual, and I noticed this morning that it is overflowing down the left side and not turning the bio wheel.
You shouldn't need to replace the pad. Just rinse it out in water you are taking out during a water change.

What are the readings of ammonia, nitrite and nitrate in the tank?

exhumed07

Superstar Fish
Apr 30, 2006
Illinois
I clean my filters in the tub since I run well water and don't have to worry about chemicals. but just cleaning the surface of the filter media is generally not enough. I flex mine by twisting it and I also tap it pretty hard in the bottom of the tub and it gets ALOT of gunk out of the center of the media. I run penguin biowheels and the media is pretty durable as long as u don't rub the floss to vigerously. I'm running the same filter media for over a year now.