• Undergravle

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i was just at the LFS looking around at the fish and equipment and everything and i started talking to the sales person about my tank im getting ready to set up.. now they said that i have to use a undergravle filter instead of a "hang on" filter.. the ones that go on the back? is this true? because the tank im getting comes with one that goes on the back glass? i like the undergravle filters better because you just see the powerheads and you could hide those w/ LR, Plants.. but will that cause high nitrates to build up b/c there isn't a lot of water movement in the bottom of the tank? let me know what kind of filters you guys use.. undergravel or hang on please!

Jun 6, 2006
i use both types of filters in my 55g and i have lots of water movement.you dont need an undergravel filter from what ive heard.they even may make planting live plants harder.

Pure

Elite Fish
Nov 1, 2005
Jacksonville, FL
Where is the "neither" choice in the poll?

For a SW tank you will be much better off spending the $ on Live Rock and power heads, and let the live rock be your filter.

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
i plan on using live rock but i thought you still needed a filter? if not that would be cool i could just get some more rock.. i heard that its good to have alot of flow over the rock? is this true? if so then what would u do just put the powerhead somewhere by the rock structers?

Jul 14, 2005
Tampa, FL
I've been told by several sources to stay away from undergravel filters as they just trap nitrate, and actually worsen the water over time.

I am personally going to go with the highest amount of rock that will fit in my tank, its good stuff. You don't need a filter, but you do need a protein skimmer, thats for sure. You should look into them.