Filter Question

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Hello all .. I have until recently been changing the filter on my penguin bio-wheel every 4 weeks , after reading through various threads i have noticed that carbon is not a necessity , but I recently obtained about 4 pounds of the stuff , i now cut the top of the filter after the carbon has run its course and just use the filter itself , I was wondering if the carbon is beneficial in any way in other that removing meds . I have so much of it now i was thinking of changing it every other week ( if there is any point ) . Also if it is beneficial is there any way to incorporate it into the powerhead that runs my UGF

Thanx

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
No I dont run the reverse flow , I dont think My Power-head will do that .. Aqua-Tech 170 , although I sure wish I could it sounds like a great idea.
Those Bubblehead Orandas are VERY messy , a weekly water change is a must.

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Yes I have the Penguin 150 Bio-Wheel , which as You can imagine is working like a dog , I clean the filter pads on them bi-weekly , but I figured with the UGF and the HOB I would be ok , and Im doing ok with my ammonia so far , but a serious gravel vacuuming and 30 % weekly water change is a must , My girlfriend and her daughter LOVE them and I gotta admit they are cute little buggers .

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
I was actually thinking of upgrading my Bio-wheel , My PH is a steady 6.8 and im fighting to keep my ammonia at 0.25 , which the fish seem to be fine with ,and the water is actually very clear , but my pleco has taken a liking to the pro-gold and now shes up there with the other two at feeding time, its sorta funny we think she thinks shes a goldfish now , the algea wafers arent cutting it anymore .

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Yes i totally agree , took a ammonia test thismorning and it was at 0 but I just did a wc tuesday but i expect by Monday it will be at 0.25 , does the carbon help with the ammonia at all ?