Filter sock ??

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
I read in aonther forum last nite, you only want to run the filter sock when your water has stuff floating around in it, don't run it all the time and only for two days when you do. I am guessing,,, that way you don't have stuff sitting in your tank that could turn into nitrates. What do ya'll think bout this, I was going to run it all the time, but I guess not if there is a down side.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
I run mine all the time. I usually run them for a week, then change them. Changing them twice a week would be better.

I bought a whole bunch of them and wash the whole lot in the washing machine (no soap, just a dash of bleach, air dry then rinse before using).

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Thank for the info Lotus, I have two but I will pick up another one or two. I really couldn't figure out why they said it was bad to leave them on all of the time. The nitrate thing was the only reason I could think of, but, the stuff the sock holds would just be floating around in your tank if it wasn't sitting in your sock.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, if you leave them in too long, the nitrates will start to build up. A week is probably OK in terms of nitrate.

You'll find that the pores on the socks get blocked by debris, and the sock starts overflowing. That's a sign you've left it too long.

I think I have about 10 socks now. I add one or two onto online orders I make each time I'm ordering stuff. The new tank takes two (dual overflows), so I needed some more for that, too.