Filter Stops all the time.

Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
Ok I have 2 brand new Penguin 150 bio-wheel power filters and they keep shutting off. I mean they have power to them but the water stops. I have one on each end and they are both doing it.

I have cheked the impelle and nothing seems to be wrong.

Any ideas??

Feb 27, 2005
central illinois
check out "pinguin 150 with biowheel" i just got two two weeks ago, same things happening to me. went to lfs today and he gave me (looks like copper scratch pad type consstruction, but made of black plastic) tube covers, about four inches long, round with hole in middle. he said it was prob. sand
but now im wondering. please keep me updated. i put the covers on today and everythings ok so far. let me know if you're taking yours back. ty

Mar 14, 2005
Vacaville, CA
www.gotpitbull.com
I think it might have been because of the sand still settling I should have waited 24 and then started them.

I took them down and washed them out with fresh water and they have been going strong since last night.

I think just too much small sand was kicked up and was affecting the impellers.

Seems to be fixed.... :rolleyes:

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
Yes, I should have remembered your sand post. It's not a good idea to let sand get in the impellers, as it can damage them. You should make sure that you turn your filters off whenever you're doing maintenance on the tank, too, and wait until it has settled before turning them back on.

I had the Penguin 150 bio wheel and the same thing was happening to me...I took them back and got an aquaclear...I mean I would wash it out and make sure everything was fine and it would happen again.. and I've heard many people complaining about this..and it seems to be just with the 150's.. I can't keep a filter that may or may not stay on because of small particles...penguin should make a more hardy filter thats not so sensitive...I need something that will last and work.