filter stuff

hazee

Medium Fish
Jun 29, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
How often do i change the filter cartridges? All the books say never, just rinse half the cartridge in aquarium water and all the packages that come with the filter say every 2 - 4 weeks. Which is it?

Do i have it right that you don't leave the charcoal in there all the time? Cause that's something else they tell you to leave in and change every month. Will it take out my plant fertilizer?

f8fan

MFT Staff
Nov 19, 2004
Bangor, Maine
When it looks good and worn out...;)
The books you mention are somewhat right, filter media (like floss, polyester batting, etc.) can be reused and reused and reused...although you dont need to rinse only half of it at a time. I take the whole she-bang out and swish it and squeeze out the gunk in old aquarium water when I do water changes. It's loaded with good bacteria!!
The manufacturers would just love it if your replaced them as often as their suggestions. But it really isn't necessary at all. I replace my filter media maybe three times a year when it's looking ragged. (And that's with good ole cheap filter floss...DIY!)
I'm not sure if carbon removes ferts. I have only plastic and silk. I also don't use carbon ;)

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
If you do put charcoal (carbon) in...you might want to change it every month. I think for freshwater most people would suggest only putting it in when you need to get something out of the tank (like medication). I think depending on how you dose fertilizers it might take some of it out...but I'm not sure.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I never throw-out sponges (unless I had an infected tank). Just rinse sponges filters in old tank water every water change and it will last for years.

Floss... I always toss it out once it gets clogged. That's what floss is for, trapping filth so you can toss it out.

Carbon, I use it only carbon to remove medications from the tank.

Oh and Hi fellow Albertan - hope you had a great Stampede Week! Welcome to the tank!