Filter/Water turnover rate?

birman

New Fish
Aug 11, 2003
Visit site
I've been having my reef tank for approximately 3 months. The tank is fully cycled. Recently I was told that my filter turnover rate is too low.
I've read that the optimum water turnover rate should be around 8-10 times the tank volume. Should this be the water flow rate in the tank or the flow rate through the filter? I've the following in my tank, is this sufficient for a 42 gallon reef tank?

1) 220 gph Rena power head to provide water circulation
2) Eheim 2028 Professional II filter with filter circulation 198 gph
3) 2 air pumps connected to 4 air stones
4) 220 gph Eheim power head connected to protein skimmer (currently turned off due to medication for ich)

I was also told that my long lasting ich problem may be related to this turnover rate. Is this true?

If the turnover rate is insufficient, will adding another similar Eheim filter do the trick? Or any suggestions? I have restrictions to installation a sump filter.
Thanks for any suggestions and advice.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I'd have thought you were ok with that lot. Try to get them pointing at each other, and at bit of rock and so on to make the flow 'chaotic', rather than simply moving the water round thetank in a 'laminar' style (think sink or washing machine)
I don't believe ich ahs anything to do with flow rate. What have you got in there , and what do you do for quarantine. In marine terms 3 months is very young, and not what you'd call a 'long term problem'. (Smartarse comment but true) Also expect some different things to happen biologically yet - marine tanks can take up to a yearto be fully mature

BrianH

Medium Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oakland, NJ
I agree that the water movement you have "should" be sufficient. It would not hurt to add another powerhead. Do you have any other type of filtration, ie liverock? I would also advise against the airstones since the little bubbles will increase salt creep when they break the water surface. JMHO

Brian

Aug 13, 2003
indiana
Visit site
ok ill be short and simple the turnover rate is fine if your LFS told you that ick is related to flow rate drop them now {you can never get rid of ick unless you put every thing out to dry in the hot sun even the fish the reason they get it is due to stress } when a fish is stressed the slime coat decreases and the ick attaches to its host,, think of the slime coat as a fly net and when you get stressed you cut holes in it dont work verry good now does it ,,it will usally start on the pectoral fins due to the fact that they use them more