filter

Mar 4, 2009
NJ
My tank has been fully cycled (as of Thursday) and I added fish the other day.

When do I change the initial filter? April 17th will mark 1 month that it has been in the tank. Being that this is my first tank... I don't want to mess anything up.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I wouldn't change it according to the directions on the back of the label (which advises once a month). The filters last longer than that. You can clean them in a bucket of tank water, by swishing it around to remove the gunk. Never under tap water.
Replace them when they are near falling apart. I like to use additional media just for this purpose. It helps keep the beneficial bacteria from being wiped out completely. hope that helps.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
A second read and it appears that you are asking when to replace the filter itself. That threw me a little...because my filter is a few years old and is still good. So I would think the only time to replace the filter is when it stops working.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
I toss them into the garbage when they are too old to use.

I have 4 inserts in the hob filter which I believe is pretty standard for medium sized tank filters.

I think the smaller tank filters only have 1 or 2. So if you have 2 in yours you can replace one and leave one alone (when the time comes of course).:eek:

Then alternate the next time.