Filters that can remove nitrates

May 3, 2006
Can trickle filters or wet/dry filters actually remove nitrates. I don't see how this is possible but that is what I read somewhere:D . Thanks

JWright

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Snowy Upstate New York
www.cnytheater.com
Filters can remove nitrite (NO2), certainly. Nitrate is a little trickier.

Generally, you need anaerobic bacteria (bacteria that live in environments with no oxygen) in order to metabolize nitrate. Neither trickle nor wet/dry filters qualify.

They do make special denitrifying filters that can remove nitrate by passing water through a very long coil, so that the anaerobic environment can be achieved.

~JW

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
we were discussing prime, not filters
I was hoping the reader would put 2 and 2 to gether and come to a logical conclusion. The discussion, although not the same but simillar. As I stated in that thread there isn't a poduct or filter than can remove NO3.

and no generic aquarium filter can remove nitrates. not even if you use a bio-wheel. when first starting but after i had learned this, i almost had this pulled on me by a petsmart employee.
Petsmart employee told you that they have filter that can remove NO3. Do you remeber what he recomended?
At one of my LFS, owner tryto convince me that Polyfilter remove NO3. I have heard and use Polyfilter in my overflow box and I know they remove NH3 and not NO3. Instead of debating or arguing with him, I went home printed the info on polyfilters and brought it him. Ever since then he always avoid me or has never try to sell me anything.

I don't believe that there is any filter on the market that can removed NO3, except those expensive coil denitrator. So you could built on for about $50 (I did).

I will post the link to DIY coil denitrator when I have the time.

Rohn

Last edited:

rohnds

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Austin, TX (born NYC)
As I was researching in depth into polyfilter, I learned that they can be regenerated by simply diping into FW (if used in SW) or vice versa.
You learn something knew everyday.
Power of knwoledge!!

Rohn

PS I wonder if activated carbon work the same way?

Last edited:
the petsmart employee tried telling me a biowheel filter would remove nitrates. she used to give people bad advice, and i would jump in and give the correct advice, sometimes resulting in the person going with my idea over the employees idea. after that, that lady never talked to me, and never gave paople advice. in front of me anyways. i think she was just trying to sell things.

Last edited: