Filters that make no noise?

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
Canisters are pretty silent as they get going after a day or two, but they still make some noise. virtually every filter will make noise, but...

You should really try a submerible (in-tank) filter. they are rumored to make no noise other than occasional vibration. see who has some of these on this forum and ask them about their noise level. I know a member named Kenny has used submersible filters in some of his tanks. he'll know.

Sep 27, 2009
the in tank filters are alright but they take up alot of room in your tank and kinda make it look bad. i have two and there kinda quite but still able to keep light sleepers awake. im gettin a hang on back filter that my friend has that you wouldnt even no is runnin

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
and what type is that? If its an aquaclear 20, thats not quiet at all. i still have mine and i dont run it on my 10 gal. too noisy: impeller. i run an eheim ecco canister on the 10 gal, and thats pretty quiet in comparison to my DIY CO2 injection lol.

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
I'm running a Penguin Bio-Wheel 150 on my 20g and you can't hear it over my air pump which you can't hear over the bubbling sound, the impeller does get alil noisy if not seated right or if it gets some build up on it

bassbonediva

Superstar Fish
Oct 15, 2009
Northern Arizona
I have a Penguin 170 on my 45gal and unless my water level gets a little low, I don't even know it's there. In fact, I have to check it sometimes to make sure it's still running 'cuz I can't hear it. I have had two Eclipse system filters (same manufacturer as the Penguin, just the Eclipse is built into the hood rather than being an HOB) and they've all been silent as well. As Stoddern said, the impeller will get a little noisy if not seated right, and the BIOWheel will squeak if not seated right, but get it set up properly and it'll be great. Awesome filtration system, too. :)

stoddern

Large Fish
Jul 26, 2009
Vermont
as bassbonediva mentioned the bio wheel will start to make some noise if there is some build up in the seats for it I use a small soft bristle tooth brush for cleaning mineral deposits and algae off of things like my filter system, heater and decorations.