Filters

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
i have undergravel filters. there are 3 tubes that stand up in the back of my tank. i have no idea what they are called or what kind. put i was wondering how and how often do i change the filters. and where the heck are they. sorry i don't know what more i can say to describe them.

Lotus

Ultimate Fish
Aug 26, 2003
Southern California
home.earthlink.net
What goes into the tubes? What exactly is it that you're plugging in?

Just trying to work out how this is set up :)

You could try calling the person you bought the setup from to ask how he/she ran the system.

In general, very few people still use an undergravel filter system.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
bubbles come up from the tubes. it seems to work great it filter my new tank it like an hour. the 95 gal i got today. we have been trying to call the old owner but he won't answer. so i decided to ask you guys.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
If you dont have anyting on top of the tubes then there is no secondary filter. With a UGF the Gravel is the filter media. You can add a premade top to the tubes it has some floss and Charcoal to the top of the tubes. I see the top at walmart moslty. If the water is moving and the bubbles are going then it is working. I Recommend going to a canister filter. It would be a better filter for any fish that you will have in there. UGF are old, technology. With having a tank that size I would go for a canister.

If this dosent make any sence Take some photos so we can see what you are talking about.

MAHA

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
it does make sense. the tank and equipment i got from a guy who used to own a LFS. he did say that not many people use this time of filter but it did filter the tank in out an hr to crystal clear. i don't know if thats fast or not. so do you still think i need a canister?

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
see, thats what i don't understand... why the old owner said that the under gravel filter was very good and i shouldn't which the filters. even after it has cycled enough to get the bacteria in their.

I just got the tank today, if you any one was confused.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
For now you are fine with using the undergravel filter. When you moved the tank it was probably pretty gross and got a lot of the gunk out from under the UGF plates under the gravel right? Generally with UGF's you want to change the airstones whenever you notice fewer bubbles coming out.

If I were you I would set the tank up and run it as the old owner suggests (since its probably cycled and everything is good to go with the gravel etc), do your gravel cleaning/ water changes once a week and do some research on canister filters, take a look at what would suit your setup and prices, then get the one(s) you like and get them set up. After you've run the ugf with the canister filter(s) for a month or so you should be fine to take your fish out and do an overhaul on the tank, taking out the UGF plates and cleaning.

fish_chic

Large Fish
Oct 30, 2006
florida
FroggyFox said:
For now you are fine with using the undergravel filter. When you moved the tank it was probably pretty gross and got a lot of the gunk out from under the UGF plates under the gravel right? Generally with UGF's you want to change the airstones whenever you notice fewer bubbles coming out.

If I were you I would set the tank up and run it as the old owner suggests (since its probably cycled and everything is good to go with the gravel etc), do your gravel cleaning/ water changes once a week and do some research on canister filters, take a look at what would suit your setup and prices, then get the one(s) you like and get them set up. After you've run the ugf with the canister filter(s) for a month or so you should be fine to take your fish out and do an overhaul on the tank, taking out the UGF plates and cleaning.
i wanted to say that i don't have air stones but three tubes that are coming up from the gravel in the back of the tank that come just under the water line. there are bringing bubbes up through them. does this sound right

oh and they are putting out ALOT of bubbles

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Not entirely sure what you're describing...but an air stone is usually what is attached to the end of an air hose that is going into the tank. Bubbles come out the end of the airstone and go up the tubes (uplift tubes I think they're usually called?) and that causes water movement. If you dont have air stones...then what are you talking about replacing filters in your original post?