filters

snoce

Large Fish
Nov 14, 2003
nj
Visit site
i have been a freshwater tank guy for many years and have had many types of tanks and did very well with them over the years...i am looking into and reading up on how to start a saltwater tank(29gl) and my first question is can i use the same filter i have now for a saltwater tank its a rena 30 and it works very well is that capable to use for saltwater or is there certain saltwater filters i should look to buy....thanks

Chris_A

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2008
Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
I just want to emphasize before I say this... I am in no way disagreeing with Lotus and Lorna lol.

That said, you *could* keep the HOB for extra water flow in the tank, just remove the media. You would need powerheads anyway though. There are even people who mod them for use as a HOB refugium for smaller tanks. But no, I wouldn't use it for "conventional" filtration.

Chris

Rush07

Large Fish
Mar 1, 2006
Oneida, NY
I have a 29 gallon tank now and run the following:
-AquaC Remora Skimmer with Maxijet 1200
-AquaClear 110 modded fuge (Kraylen's Aquaclear 110 Fuge Mod - Nano-Reef.com Forums)
-30 lbs. live rock and about 1" live sand.
-2 Hydor Koralia #2's for flow

You will be able to add a sponge filter to the AQ 110 fuge when you need to polish the water. I usually put one in for about 12 hours after water changes to pick out floating debris. If you leave it in too long it will start to produce high levels of Nitrates. The Fuge also gives you a place to run Chemipure or any other media you would like.

I am pretty happy with the setup. 1 year in (knock on wood) no water chemistry issues. I would also invest in an RO/DI unit or at least make sure you have a supply. Otherwise you are looking for algae issues.

I like the size of the 29. I think you will be happy with it.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I should have been more specific....yes you CAN keep the canister filter....you can even run media in it but you must and I repeat MUST be very very dilligent in keeping water changes up and watch for any other issues such as algae blooms etc. This is only if you are planning on a fish only tank.....if planning on a reef the water issues would present problems with nutrients.