Filtration for 55 gal.

Sushi

New Fish
Aug 1, 2003
Sweetwater, TN
Visit site
Hello
I am getting back into saltwater again after 7 years. I see there is alot changed since I was last in the hobby. What I am getting at is I have a 55 gal tank I plan to set up and my question is on filtration. In the past I have used under gravel filters and power heads along with mechanical filtration with fish only tanks but didnt have much luck in the long run with them. I notice now that they are not recomended so what would be a good setup for fish only? I thought about using the "Marineland Bio Wheel Pro 60" for the Bio filtration and maybe the "Marineland Emperor 400" for mechanical and Bio filtration, and also some sort of skimmer although I have no Idea which one. :confused:
I would appreciate any input especially any good examples of a filtration for fish only tank. Thanks...

Aug 3, 2003
Laurel, MD
I use an emperor 404 filter and a red sea prizm protein skimmer. I skim 24/7 and have prestine water conditions. In my emperor's media ctrtridges, I put in a mix of carbon and amonia detox crystals after the nitrogen cycle completed. I have no prolems or complaints with the set up besides for with the prizm skimmer. The intrake tube goes out too far. A standard glass top wont fit. I was building a custom top anyway though so I still have no complaints.