Filtration for 75G

turbo_h4

Small Fish
Aug 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
I just bought a new 75G tank for my oscars because they're outgrowing their 20G.

The guy at the store advised that I use a Eheim 2215 Canister Filter with it. Eheim seems to be a good brand by reviews on the internet. However, the filter is rated 164 US GPH. Would this be enough? Because I read in most forums that oscars need 10x(tank size) water flow. So 75Gx10=750GPH. I would need 750GPH?

broll

Medium Fish
Jul 13, 2005
Kansas
I just purchased an eheim 2026 kit from Dr. Foster/Smith with a 25% off sale. The filter is phenomonal! High quality, self-priming, easy to assemble. The 2026 is rated for up to 90 gallons, but the 2028 is a little larger. I believe that the 2026 would be sufficient, but with Oscars I would consider buying the larger one. Good luck!

when people say they need 10x tank size water flow i think they are refering to HOBs and i dont think this rule applys to canister filters. Although this tank says it is good for up to 75g i think more filtration is better cause you do have oscars and what i've heard about them is that they are really messy but i think you should stick the filter in and see if the water seems clear after a few weeks and if not then maybe get an HOB or a smaller canister. You already bought the canister filter right? if you haven't i think you should get a canister filter that can do a little more then what you need like say your tank was 75g (which it is) then get a canister filter that can filter like 100g to 150g and your water should be sparkly clean :D but if you already bought it, then i think the filter should be sufficient enough :)

svetlana

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2005
Gaithersburg, MD
home.uchicago.edu
I bought RenaFilstar XP2 recently for up to 75g for my 55g. It is 300 gph (gallon per hour?).
Very good filter! I was exausted changing water 3-4 times a week, now i am like regular folk can relax and do it once a week. Overall, canister filters are very good investment. I heard that Eheim filters are best on the market today (?). You should be ok, b/c however big the oscars get you still have 75g and only 2 of the fish.
I found out hard way that the less substrate - the better, and be it gravel. Gravel is very hygenic b/c you can vacuum it easily and everything that falls down is trapped under it and not floating around after slightest fin's twitch.
My major hygene steps:
- buying the canister filter
-scooping out plant substrate, leaving it only in places where i have groves of java fern and replacing it with 0.5-1 inch of conventional gravel
-taking out any non-functional (meaning that they are not serving as fish hangouts but more like decor ) rocks
- buying airwall with airpump.

Cool results *SUPERSMIL

You are on the right track.

--si

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
I would shoot for something in the 3X the capacity of the tank. Oscars are messy guys so the more times the water turns over the better you are. You could also add some more filtration through additional filters.

EDIT: Couldn't agree more with the filstar cannisters, they are great little filters. Great price too, you can find them for 60-80 bucks on the the internet. They are a snap to clean and easy to install and manage.

turbo_h4

Small Fish
Aug 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
Right now I have the Magnum 350, Fluval 404, and Filstar XP2/XP3 in mind.

And yes, I have bought the Eheim 2215 already, but it's still in the box and shouldn't be a problem to return it for another one.

Thanks ppl.

turbo_h4

Small Fish
Aug 24, 2003
Toronto
Visit site
In addition, I'm steered more towards the XP3 right now. No special reason.

The main reason why I want another filter is the flow rate, as well as reviews on the internet claim that the hooks on the eheim are unreliable after a short period of time and will leak.

I will have an air pump with 1 bubble wall about.....40".....

Orion

Ultimate Fish
Feb 10, 2003
Kentucky
www.thefishcave.net
Canisters are more effecient than HOB's, so the flow rate does not have to be as high on a canister to do an equal amount of filtering.

Right now I am running an XP3 and Emperor 400 on my 75 and it works out great. I bought my XP's second hand, but have been using them over 6 months no problems. I would buy them again in a heartbeat. Ehiems are suposed to be great filters, but I've never used one. Most likley from the money you get back from returning the Ehiem, you can get both. But that is up to you.

Personly I would get two filters for a tank this large, with at least one being a canister. The type and amount of filtration you need is dependant on the stocking of the tank.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I have an 80gal with 2 Oscars and a Pleco.
I use a Rena XP3 filter (very VERY good design) and a 375gph powerhead with quick-filter attachment to keep the water moving and improve fine filtration.

I rinse-out the sponges and change the floss on the XP3 fitler every 3 to 4 weeks.
I change the quick-filter floss on the power-head every 2 to 3 weeks.
I use a PHYTON gravel vacume and 25% water change every 1 to 2 weeks.

So far, water quality has remained excellent and the filtration has been able to keep up rather well.

With bigger fish, you not only need good volume of water change, but also do a good job at vacumming out the waste and buy bulk-floss so it's cheaper to replace.

Glad to hear you got them a 75... watch out, once they get more room, they tend to get more territorial.