Filtration needs

Sep 20, 2010
I'm thinking about starting up a 30 gallon salt water tank in the near future and have been a little confused about some of the advice I've seen on the forums saying to use a filter for flow but don't have filtration material in it. Does this mean if I can find something to make flow and use live rock that I do not need a filter at all or are they talking strictly about the biological portion of the filter and not the chemical portion?

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Bascially the only 'filter' you need is Live rock. A skimmer will also help but if you have enough rock and keep up on the water changes you can get away with not using one of those either.. people just use the HOB filters for surface movement and if you don't have a sump you can throw some cheato into it as well.. HTH

Newman

Elite Fish
Sep 22, 2009
Northern NJ
yes but remember that you need a separate light source over the HOB for that chaeto... the HOB also can hold some sort of chemical media if you want, like carbon, purigen, phosban, or chemi pure elite.
Live rock is the basis of your filtration. only start using macroalgae and chemical media after you finish the cycle.