Filtration opinions needed

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
Alright, I think I have narrowed down my tank selection to either a 46 bow or a 50 gal tank. Now I am starting to try to figure out filtration and other accessories. I am thinking that this will be another tropical community tank.

My next big decision is how to filter it. Should I go for the big canister and leave it at that. (Rena filstar xp1? xp2? xp3?) Should I get one of the add-on biowheels? Or shoul I get a smaller canister, and an aquaclear or biowheel HOB?

Any opinions or advice appreciated.

Also looking for some interesting fish ideas for this size tank. I'm thinking at least one good sized group of schoolers (Black neons? Danio's?????) Maybe a group of larger schoolers (phantom tetras???????) Definitely a group of some type of corys for the bottom. And maybe 1-3 larger centerpiece type fish. I just want it to be somewhat different from the norm.

Fire Away.

Mike

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
I would suggest one big canister (maybe one of them ones you listed, or a eheim or something, as oppsosed to the smaller canister and a HOB)

The fish stocking is really up to you, because it will be your tank not ours lol

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Hi & Welcome to the tank!

On 4 foot wide tanks, I like using dual filters instead of just 1. A Rena XP3 is a great filter, so you could go with it as your main 'bulk' filter, including mechanical (sponge/floss) and biological (ceramic disks).

Then, stick a powerhead with quickfilter or another HOB filter on the other end, something less expensive. Just use it for mechanical filtration and maybe secondary bio-filtration (if it has a bio-wheel).

The advantages to having 2 filters is that the water gets moved around better in the tank and you are backed-up a little in case one fails.

I use a XP3 Canister and a 900GPH powerhead with quick-filter (floss) setup on my 80 gallon Oscar/Pleco tank and they are possibly the messiest freshwater fish I have ever seen. I change the quickfilter floss every 2 to 3 weeks, and clean the XP sponges and change the floss in it every month. With regular 25% weekly water changes, I am keeping up pretty good so far.

Hope this helps.

PS. Now is a good time to consider a fishless cycle before you stock your new tank. Its cheap and ensures you have little fish loss your first few months.

Read-up on fishless cycles here:
http://www.myfishtank.net/articles/fishlesscycle.php

A recipe for cycling 'fishless' style here:
http://www.myfishtank.net/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=13406

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Personally I'd go with the 46 bowfront...I have one in my bedroom and its gorgeous :) Of course it is also more expensive and harder to DIY things like stands and hoods and lighting...

I have a Fluval 304 on it...and it seems to do the job just wonderfully...I love it. If it wasn't in my bedroom I might think about adding another filter for some more surface agitation, but I like it being quiet so I just let the fluval do its job.

As for your stock (after cycling of course) I like the idea of some schooling fish, some bottom dwellers and a couple of larger fish. An angelfish would make a nice big centerpiece fish...although I dont know if I'd put more than one in if you're going to go with schooling fish because personally I like to have as big of a school as I can, so fewer angels means more room for schoolers. There are so many different kinds though that you pretty much have to narrow the list down for yourself on what you'd like to have. If you're going to plant the tank, some of my personal favorites are harlequin rasboras...just a fun little active fish.

radamsk1

Large Fish
Apr 23, 2005
Long Island, NY
In larger sized tanks, like my 46 gal bowfront, I use a canister (Fluval 304), a HOB, and a Quickfilter attachment to my powerhead. Mainly I like to have a HOB in addition to the canister is because they can be prone to losing their pressure and output, especially if you'll have live plants with fine leaves or moss. So many times my canister will lose flow in 2 weeks after cleaning and thankfully I have my HOB to take over, so I don't have to touch the tank for a week until I do my next water change (got discus so I'm always changing the water).

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
I too, like the dual filtration idea. My concern is how much flow is too much. If I put an xp1 or fluval 304 on (both are about 250 gph) and say maybe an aquaclear 70 (300 gph) would that be too much? Or would two aquaclears do as well? I just don't know.

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
I dont think it would be too much to put two filters of 250 or 300 gph on that size tank. Two aquaclears would work just as well as putting a canister and a HOB...but if I was going to do two filters I'd pick two different kinds of filters I think. Part of that is asthetic (I dont like the look or sound of HOB filters) and I think part of it is just getting two different types of filtration on the tank could mean more thorough filtration.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
The Rena XP's are quiet and efficient, so I would use the XP1 or XP2. Remember, this may not be your last tank, you might suffer from MTS (Multiple tank syndrome) like me and so many others, so bigger filter is better now.

Too much filtration? Not really unless your fish don't like strong currents, but most common tropicals love it. Just no long-finners like Guppies.

If you want a quiet 2nd filter for water movement and added mechanical filtration, don't overlook an internal filter. A small powerhead with quick-filter does a great job, plus it's easy to replace.

HOBS are better for 2ndary bio-filters and surface agitation (more O2), and most do a good job. Some brands of HOBS are quieter than others.

If you can get a bowfront, it is a nice tank. A 72 gallon is 4' wide, Oceanic is a good brand in Canada, but not cheap, and you need a nice matching stand to make it a set.

That or a Petsmart 50 gallon, 4' tank is a real bargain, about $150 with lights, but you still need a stand.

The funny thing is, I've never had basic tropicals in anything larger than my 3' (38 gallon), its always been goldies or oscars.

I like the single Angelfish idea a lot, with some other mid-sized schooling fish like Phatom Tetras or Harlequins.

Angels or maybe a pair of Gouramies with a red-finned shark for the bottom.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
I love the idea of a large school of fish, some bottom dwellers, and a [few] centerpiece fish. For centerpiece fish, how about a single nice male betta. XRay tetras are a very striking tetra, with yellow and black stripes on their fins.

Go with a rectangular tank over a bow front, as you may want to do some money-saving DoItYourself-ing later on down the road.

Internal Powerfilters with attached filters do a great job of maintaining enough water movement that wastes stay suspended long enough to get removed by your filters. My tanks with internal powerheads are the cleanest maintenance free tanks I own. Definitely go with redundant filtration if you can afford it.

tydirian

Medium Fish
Sep 3, 2005
Houston, TX
I dont like how HOB or internal tank filters look. I have a 58g with an overflow and a canister down in the stand. It is super quiet and very nice looking. I prefer canisters. If you are going to get a canister you need to get a nice like an ehiem that you can depend on.