Filtration Question

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Im in the process of setting up a 30 gallon freshwater tank which will have a few of those big fancy goldfish ( girlfriends choice ) , either that or an oscar so we decide to go with the goldfish , We sorta like those bubblehead ones ! Anyways I have 2 filter systems a UGF with a powerhead 170 gph and a penguin 150 bio-wheel , should I use both filters ? I have no problem cleaning under the UGF once a year or so but Ive been reading some bad stuff about the UGF . Thx all

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Its very much up to you about which filtration you choose to use. With goldfish being as messy as they are it would not be my personal choice to use a UGF as it will gunk up much more quickly than with other aquarium fish.

UGF's are also not my personal choice due to the fact that they're ugly and take up space in my tank...BUT some people love them. If you decided to keep the UGF you might consider doing a reverse ugf (reverse the flow combined with the HOB would keep it cleaner underneath those plates I would think) or at least with the powerhead you're better off than if you just had an airstone w/ a pump. Also, if you decide to keep the UGF then YES you should use both filters. More filtration the better with goldies.

I'm sure you've found out that you can't keep an oscar in a 30g tank long term, but I just wanted to reiterate that in case you were still considering it :)

bjmoran

Medium Fish
Aug 9, 2006
Detroit
Thx Froggy , Yeah we looked into it and figured we didnt have enough space in a 30 for an Oscar .. to bad , but it wouldnt be fair to Oscar ! I noticed that the powerhead makes an awful lot of bubbles in the tank , will the Bio -wheel control this or are the bubbles a good thing ? There are so many it makes the water look cloudy

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
Well if anything I'd think the biowheel will add some more to it...but not to worry the bubbles aren't a problem unless they really bother you that much. More bubbles means more surface agitation which means a higher level of oxygen in the water which is good :) May also mean faster evaporation rate. If they bug you too much I'd play with the angle of the powerhead and see if you can minimize it by lowering the powerhead orturning it toward or away from a tank wall.

Have you read up on cycling?