filtration

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
I like cannisters, but HOBS are unavailable to me anyway - they don't exist in europe. You can do better things with water input/output with a cannister

thanks guys -

here's my status now: today i bought a Tetra "whisper", power filter 40. it says for both FW & SW. 210 GPH. It says Mechanical, Chemical, and Bio filtration, Looked like a good deal to me, got it for 50 bucks. But i wanted to get some input before i set it up? another question - ive heard ppl saying to remove the carbon from the filter, what is the reson for doing that? thanks again.

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
i would remove the carbon because it is designed to absorb trace elements which you will want...i would also remove the mechanical filtration...personally, i have found no need for it, and if you do not clean it frequently it can cause nitrates to build up quickly

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Camaro - I'm going back to carbon use more often as I want to remove yellowing from my water. I do enough water changes I don't see any need for trace element supp.
I would say that if you're not changing carbon enough to stop it being a nitrate inducing biofilter you're not changing enough for it to be effective.
I would say the benefits of carbon far outweigh any scare stories about removing wanted stuff that are hard to prove or disprove and are purely anecdotal