Filtration

Mar 18, 2006
clay twp
Help with Filtration

HI, I have been reading some of the forums and was wondering what suggestions you had for my filtration needs. First i have a 55 gal tank that i am converting to salt. I bought a new power head, a 250 watt heater, crushed coral for the bed, have an air pump and a bubbler, the filter is an aquaclear 70. I have been reading and everyone is saying to take the pre filter out and put in live rock instead also i was wondering if i could use bio balls or some other media instead of live rock I do plan on getting live rock for the tank but it will take time as funds are not unlimited. I read on line that the bio filter will get clogged if you don't pre filter. Also any other advice for the tank i do plan to get a skimmer when i can. also what do you do to maintain it.

Last edited:

ram man

Superstar Fish
Apr 16, 2005
Arizona
instead of crushed coral get some marine sand, poo gets traped in the crushed coral and is a nitrate trap. the bubbler is not nessasery, i dont like the look of them on my tanks. all you need is live rocka power head and a heater. the filter media should be taken out, this too will be a nitrate trap along with the bioballs. a skimmer is also a good thing to have on a tank this size.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
I honestly don't think it is time for you to start the tank (just my opinion). The reason I say this is because you already are talking about skipping out on some VERY important parts of a tank set-up because of money...trust me it will cost you more money down the road if you go that route.

I would wait till you have enough saved for a proper set-up before you get your hands wet! In the mean time take the oportunity to really plan out what kind of tank setting you would like ie. What kind of fish, corals, Inverts ect...

oh, and to answer your question; LR (approx. 1 -1.5 lbs per gallon), A couple powerheads, a protien skimmer (This is one you could add later depending on how heavily stock your tank will be, just be sure to keep up on water changes) and a good clean-up crew (once tank has cycled)

I would also strongly recommend using two heaters not just one (This is just a preventative measure and will keep a more stable temp)

Last edited:
Mar 18, 2006
clay twp
ok after talking a bit i have decided not to use the air pump, about the filter when you use the live rock as the media do you still use carbon also do you have to maintain it or leave it alone other then cleaning the pump.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
The live rock actually goes in your tank. If you were to use a filter, any media would likely yield a lot of nitrates, thus fueling algae. You almost can't go wrong with just some live rock and a protein skimmer for filtration.