Fin rot in Bloodfin Tetra?

Oct 29, 2005
Hey guys...

I've had 3 bloodfin tetras for about 2 1/2 weeks now...they all have been eating very well and are getting along pretty well with my 2 dwarf guarmis and 6 von rio tetras (in a 75G)..

Well, today I noticed one did not come to eat...i spotted him just hovering over my bubble wand at the top where all the bubbles meet the surface...this is new behavior...when he finally swam out a bit, I noticed his tail fin look pretty tore up...i've seen no agression in the tank...could this be some type of rot or is more likely another fish attacking? I'm trying to decide if I should QT him or not...any products out there help fix a torn fin?

and lastly the tanks been up and running going on a month now...it was cycled with bio-spira...thnx!!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
IMO:
If this is a new development and there have been no signs of fin rot before, fin rot won't rot away a fin overnight. It sounds like there was some agression in the tank. Your goal now is to watch all fish carefully and see if you can figure out who did the attack. You also need to heal that fin. I've heard melafix may work well...someone can probably give better medicine advice...but the most important thing for healing is to keep water quality perfect. Test your water parameters, even if you cycled with bio-spira, there could still be a spike in something.

Sep 11, 2005
Philadelphia
www.myspace.com
I would assume aggression.

Fin rot is gradual and more often than not the result of poor water conditions. You would have had long warnings if that were the case.

Anyway, the best way to treat the condition is indeed some melafix and keeping the water nice and clean. But I would be wary of the compatibility of the fish in the tank. Keep an eye out and be ready to reconsider some living situations.