FIN ROT ON MY LIONFISH HELP!

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Hello I just signed in to this, so first I just want to say "Hi everyone" this is my first computer so this is all new to me but pretty cool.

Well I have a 40gal. Saltwater tank started 1 1/2 yrs ago.
-AZOO comp florecent track lighting
-ext. canister bio filter
- protin skim.
-appx.30lb live rock(tonga branch and fiji)
-assorted mushrooms
-finger leath.coral
-polyps
-1 royal urchin
-1 emerald crab
-1 cleaner shrimp
-1 brittle star
-2 olive snails
-? hermit crabs
-1 yellow wrasse,just lost my other (R.I.P.)
-1 volatian lionfish (just a baby appx 2 1/2")

My problem is my lionfish just got fin rot about a week ago. I did some water changes and changed my carbon in my filter to help my water quality; as well i've started to soak there food in a garlic solution (not sure if that help for this situation) so far it seems to becoming under control but there is still 2 or 3 spots not heald up yet. Can anyone help with suggestions on this matter? your reply would be greatly appreciated as I've never come across fin rot before.

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
Water quality is a thing look for, but you should be alright. I would probably do a water change, use vitamins in his food, and if it does get worse I may buy an antibiotic for the fish.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
Hey everyone, this is just an update if anyone is interested. I've been doing more often water changes 20% about every 4 days and changing the carbon as well. I also have kept on soaking the frozen food in a garlic solution over night and so far all is looking very promising. Only one small spot on a single fin is still not quite gone, but is slowly fading; all the rest seem to be heald up and starting to gain some length back. I'll keep ya posted. If anyone has any suggestions that they feel i could do better or should not be doing please advise as it would be geatly appreciated.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
40 gallons might be a bit small in the future as your volitan grows--it might do better in a 55 gallon tank, but you have some time to plan it out and make your move
do you have any pics of your lion? lionfish were the thing that got me into the hobby--they're beautiful AND dangerous...i dont have one either :(

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
I have seen big very big Volitans...ideally they need a bigger tank then 55 gallons, but its fine until they get that big...which is a very long time away.