fin rot?

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
how do you tell if a fish has fin rot or if it is just from other fish chewing off the fins? i have 2 mollies that have almost no fins and some white patches on their sides. looks kind of like missing scales.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
The fins look like little stubs and are white around the edges, i have a feeling it might just be from aggression because when i bought them from petsmart the guy said they had only gotten them in the day before, and they might just be to small for the tank right now, i have them in quarentine for now, i might just wait till they get bigger to return them to the big tank, my other mollies are doing just fine , it is just the 2 smaller ones that have the fin problem.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
well im not sure how or why but i lost one of the mollies in quarentine and the other is not looking so well, plus my eel has been looking and acting really strange he is very sluggish and hasent eaten in about 3 days, all my other fish seem ok i even have a pregnant molly who seems perectly fine. could this be an internal parasite? any opinions on what this may be?

nobody

Large Fish
Sep 26, 2005
Utah
The time I had fin rot, the fish that had it had ragged fins and black on the edges of their fins. I have heard of times when there hasn't been black on the edges of the fins though, so, I'm not sure about your case.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
it is just a small 1 gallon bowl water parameters are all norm. i have a filter hooked up to it as well, no carbon though. I went to the petstore and the lady there told me it could be internal bacteria and i got some marycin 2 and it seems to be helping, so far i havent noticed anything odd in the other fish but i think i might treat the big tank as well. And as for my eel he is doing much better , i bought some shrimp pellets and some tubifex worms and he has been having a ball with them. i dont think he liked the bloodworms but all my other fish do. i am hoping that the ther fish are going to be ok i have 2 very pregnant platinum mollies and atm im not sure where im going to be putting them to have the babies.