Finally Getting A Porcupine Puffer!!!!!!!!!

JasonF

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2003
UK
Visit site
Do you have a large enough tank for him?
What other fish will you/have you?

I have been told they are very fussy to feed by one person, and someone else told me his sits and waits for dinner then gulps the lot down in one hit ! They also apparently stress easily.

Have you any books with this fish in?

JasonF

Small Fish
Jun 22, 2003
UK
Visit site
According to the books I have puffers are basically the same as Porcupine fish (Do you mean a porcupine fish - Diodon Hystrix???) , so good water quality as they are messy eaters and poor water leads to eye disease, Fish only, Skimmer, activated carbon, and of course only one Porcupine/puffer in a tank or they will fight. The only thing is the book I have suggests a 100G tank would be suitable. Can be kept with fish of its own size..

The only book I have with info is The Practical Encyclo of The Marine Aquarium by Colin Grist and Dick Mills.

HTH.

Jul 31, 2003
Delaware
Visit site
Porcupine Puffer Info

I've had my Porcupine Puffer for about 6 months and it has grown quite a bit in this short time! Currently it is about 5 inches long and I have a 55 gallon tank with a wet/dry set up and protein skimmer although I am prepared and expect to need a larger tank in a year or two! My Puffer eats small boiled shrimp (with the shell ON to keep the 'beak' from over growing) and scallops and clams. I also feed it dried seaweed. Mine is not a picky eater at all. It is very friendly and puppy-like and not at all agressive. It lives with a Snowflake Eel and a Lionfish without a problem. A friend gave me a gorgeous Undulated Triggerfish but it kept stressing my Puffy out so I had to find the Trigger a new home. Good luck with your Puffy!