Finally got my 55 gal. tank

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Hi everyone. After a few months of buying things here and there for my 55 gal tank, I finally got it. I set it up and cycled it the "established media method". I added 3 H. Rosboras. I keep reading I have to add one or two fish at a time. My question is, how long do I wait to add one or two fish? A week or a few days or five days? I put a sponge and a carbon in the 55 gal. tank filter from my 20 gal. tank along with a hand full of gravel from my 20 gal. tank. Thank you in advance for your help.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Test your water, when your nitrates are about 5ppm and 0 nitrites and 0 ammonia begin adding. It can still take a while to cycle a large tank with media from your existing tank. It took my 90g about 3 weeks even with media, I also used giant danios to help it along, then it went thru a mini cycle for about 3 days after I added the other inhabitants. It may take less or it may take longer each of us has our own experience, the only sure way of knowing is to test the water.

sphenta

Large Fish
Feb 5, 2008
Michigan
Ok thank you Brain. I have been checking my water everyday. Amm. and nitites 0 and nitrates are not as bright yellow. But it is not at 5.0 yet. So I will hang tight and wait to add more fish. Thanks again

chefrossco

Small Fish
May 30, 2008
suffolk england
the rule i have used is to add after 1 week however you can stock in a shorter time frame - this just meens you have to do more water changes about 20-30% every 2-3 das for 2 weeks , thats what i first did when i started and i can honestly say i didnt loose any fish to that