finally on my way

Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
well, i got a bunch of stuff for my tank over the last week or so, i took pictures too. i got a new skimmer and some new coral and a new fish

tank when i first set up the skimmer

the skimmer, lights and penguin mini power filter

kenya tree

the mushroom i got for free (the kid at the LFS thought he was dead, ha!)

i traded my clown and hawkfish for a cherub angel

full tank shot

the skimmer is a seaclone 100, ive heard good and bad stories, but as u can see in the picture it isnt throwing many bubbles into the tank and its producing some nice skimmate

Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
right now, i neither have a sump nor a refugium. however, im purchasing a CPR HOB refugium from a member at nano-reef.com

as far as cost goes, ive never really sat down and calculated how much it has costed, here it goes:

tank-$10
sand-$10
salt-$15
live rock (11 pounds @$9.50/lb)- $104
heater-$15
10 hermit crabs @$4/crab (i know, i got ripped off(add$2 for larger shells for crabs to move into)-$42
turbo snails(2)-$6
lighting(this includes all the diff. lighting ive bought for the tank, incl. timer, other misc. lighting supplies)-$60
filters(includes filter i orig. used and the one im using now)-$45
food(flakes, shrimp, krill)-$20
skimmer-$135
hydrometer-$13
magnetic algae cleaner-$5
testing supplies-$20
funnels, turkey baster(they come in handy)-$5

LIVESTOCK:
my mushroom was free because it fell off its rock, but if i wouldve bought the rock it came on i wouldve had to pay $50

so;

kenya tree-$16
cherub angel-$35
feather duster-$10

so that comes out to 566 bucks. most of those i was being nice with and didnt include tax. one thing i would like to mention is that i did alot od DIY stuff for this tank, like i built my own hood and used a computer desk for a stand, and put together my own lights, things like that, expect to add anywhere between 100-200 more for lights and a stand if you buy them from a retailer.

all of that money and i only have 2 corals, and 1 was free. so to get a teeming reef from buying from a retailer, i would expect to spend anywhere between 1000-1200 bucks, and about 6 months before adding alot of corals (1 or 2 before you add ANYTHING)

i also left out other small misc stuff like thermometers and other chemicals and stuff you might have to use

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Oh lord, don't work out the cost per gallon! Oh well it all looks good and could always be reused... how do you like your angel? Is it better than the hawk.
I like your lighting. I wouldn't have bothered with a skimmer, but you're better off with than without.

Dec 20, 2003
Bemidji, MN
Visit site
i didnt even have cost per gallon on my mind when i was adding those up, it was just a list of everything i have bought for the tank.

as far as the angel, im pretty much in love with it, it has way more personality than my clown and my hawk put together, and hes alot prettier.

im still waiting for a 13watt 50/50 to come in the mail from hellolights.com. eventually i want to replace the two 10watt 6500k bulbs with the same setup a have between them, the 13 watt pc and then replace the bulbs with the 50/50 as well.

the skimmer, i had been eyeing it for a long time and i was getting in patient so when i got my paycheck i didnt want to fool around with credit cards,shipping time, confirmations, and all the other junk that goes along with ordering on the net, i wanted it Now. plus im friends with the owner of the pet shop i frequent, and he ordered the skimmer just for me a few months ago, so i figured i wouldnt leave him hangin and help him out a bit, keep it local, for his buisness' sake, i would hate to see him go under