Finally!! Tank up.. pic's up and a few ?'s

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
Well my tank is finally up *celebrate .. i have included a few pics as i have some questions.. first question is in the first pic.. are these brown things bad and alost the green stuff..
.. 2nd.. can anyone id this and tell me if standard lighting that comes with a hood will keep it alive.. 30watts total..
.. its on the bottom right of the rock.. there are a few more in there also.. can anyone tell me what i should feed this 'lil guy..
.. heres a full tank shot..

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
First picture appears to be two brown polyps (free coral, very good!)

Second picture looks like a feather duster by its retracted position in its little shell thing. These are ok under your lighting but you may have a problem with feeding. Dusters are filter feeders that thrive on plankton so you will have to provide filter feeding foods

Sorry I have no idea what is in the 3rd picture. Is it a snail of some soft?

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I think that OCC is right. The 3rd pic appears to me to be a small little sandsifting seastar that I assume came in on your rock. They will just help clean up. I dont target feed mine. They seem to get enough from the food that I put into the tank. You will see him come and go and there might be days that you dont see him, just so you know.

Nice Rock and I like the way you set it up. Looks like you have a great start!!*thumbsups

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
1979camaro said:
i thought the brown stuff in the first picture might be aiptasia...the green is probably either algae or a sponge

is it possible to get more clear pictures?
yea the first brown thing in the front of the picture looks like it has more tentacles almost so you have better eyes than me. The one in the back looks more like whole polyp but maybe its just blurred together?

I never knew apista was brown I always thought it was a clearish/white color. I tired searching for it but couldnt find a picture either of a true apista, just people asking.

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
Looks good, good rock placement. I am with Camaro in that the first two definitely look like aiptasia. To be safe I would juice them. Otherwise you are on your way

zoalover34

Superstar Fish
Jun 5, 2006
Kent, OH
where do you get joe's juice from? i take it that's what your talking about? i can't find photoplankton(sp) anywhere! i hear that's good to add for the pods to help them get on their way.. also does anyone know what that green stuff is? algae? i noticed a bunch of white tubes on the rock and there are feathers that come out of them.. are they dusters? sorry if i have allready asked.. thanks guys!

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
sounds like feather dusters. I get my joe's juice from a LFS. If you feed phytoplankton blindly you'll pollute your tank. You pods will eat anything..leftovers from the food you give to your fishies, rotting stuff...mine love dying chaetomorpha/caulerpa. No need to give phyto