Finally!

Ravenstar

Medium Fish
Feb 27, 2009
After months, my tanks are finally (mostly?) cycled! I'm a little uncertain if I'm done, though.

About a month ago I started getting nitrites, and ammonia began to fall. About a week and a half ago, ammonia was gone and nitrites were at ~.75ppm, but no nitrates. Today there was no ammonia, no nitrites, and nitrates were at 5ppm.

I'm surprised I got nitrates so quickly after it took -forever- to get rid of my ammonia, but I feel like I should have seen more nitrites before they were gone. It may help that the water's been a bit warm lately (hot days and no air conditioning ><), but I'm hesitant to declare my tanks fully cycled. Opinions?

Also, I'm about to get a 30G (that I'm not planning on planting). I want to put one of my bettas there as a centerpiece (his demeanor is actually quite non-aggressive), but I'm a little undecided on what else to stock the tank with and how many of each. I was thinking a school of tetras and a school of corys, then seeing what else there was room for, and adding everything before adding my betta. Again, opinions?

Thanks!

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
that 30 sounds fine... similar to my 16 setup...

on the cycle thing just keep an eye on it... one time I lost nitrites but the next day I had some more... so just wait a couple days before being certain.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Once you can add a few drops of ammonia in the morning and by the evening all ammonia and nitrite are again at 0.0, your tank is cycled. Of course continue to monitor once you add fish, congrats! Cycling is so hard to sit through.