Finding Nemo...on the floor

KahluaZzZ

Superstar Fish
Jun 12, 2004
Montreal, Quebec
Visit site
I went out of my bedroom to get something to drink, and when i walked in front of my tank, i heard a splashing noise, then "splat". I checked quickly : my clownfish jumped out of the tank. Hmmm...this one is not a jumper.
I immediately grabbed the little fish and put him back in the aquarium. A 160 cm fall for a 8 cm fish. Ouch. It's been like 1 hour since he tried to commit suicide and he looks fine, except that he lost some scales...( maybe more...he could internally bleed ). He's never really been bullied , was super healthy so i'm trying to figure out why he jumped.
I never noticed any bristleworms during the night and no other pests.
I realised that this fish can become crazy when you open the room's lights during the night...and this is not the first clown i've seen that goes crazy
when there's a lighting shock.
I installed a 1w moonlight 2 days ago, and the clown looked annoyed...couldn't stop swimming, couldn't really relax. I turned it off.
During the day he was behaving normally. Tonight i tried the moonlight again in the left corner of the tank while he always sleeps in the right corner.
I tought he would be ok, then he jumped.

Anyone had a case like this ?
It sucks it's my favorite fishie and i've had him for a long time

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
That's how I lost my Flame Hawkfish, found him dried up on the carpet after having him for quite some time. Be greatfull you found him in time and take that as a warning and hint...maybe time for a lid! hopefully the little guy settles down for you, like you said he is probably not used to the new lighting just gradully add the moon light a little each night maybe for now.

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
Sucks, Kahlua. I lost a firefish after a water change. It was fine before, no jumping. But an hour after the change, I found it on the floor. Put it back, went to the kitchen, then went back into the bedroom and the fish was too far gone.

Feb 6, 2005
Waterloo, ON Canada
lordroad said:
Sucks, Kahlua. I lost a firefish after a water change. It was fine before, no jumping. But an hour after the change, I found it on the floor. Put it back, went to the kitchen, then went back into the bedroom and the fish was too far gone.
Aaah man you ended up losing yours Lordroad...sorry to here that!

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
I lost a sixline wrasse after a waterchange too--it was all my fault, because I knew I should have re-covered the tank. The only solution is to always keep your tank covered, no matter what fish you have (I need to heed my own advice, because all I have is an ocellaris or a perc clown, and the tank is uncovered).

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
glad to hear it......I know I lost a fish once in my f/w tank and I was devastated as I had had him for a long time. I have a glass cover on my new 75 but there is about a 2" gap at the rear that the skimmer and cords come out of......is that enough to allow a fish to jump from?

CAPSLOCK

Elite Fish
Jul 19, 2004
Cape Cod
If you want a firefish, you do know that you can't keep the damsels, right? They are super passive. The damsels might not actually hurt it, but they'll keep it in the rocks all the time and it'll starve to death.

Nov 15, 2005
Port Dover Ontario
yeah i know i thnk ill get rid of the damsels once the tank is cycled and i know there hard to catch but im sure ill manage even if i have to take out the rock yeah i wil proibly take them out because i got them for free ill just give them back