Finnage or colour?

bettaray

Small Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Hi
a choice selection on betta finnage or colour ,which would u choose?

Cheers
BettaRay

Last edited:

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
hmm...thats a hard one, because u dont want an ugly colour, but nice finnage, and a good colour and horrible finnage...i really dont have an answer...its that hard!

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
I always feel bad for the ugly ones that you just know are doomed to live out their lives in a dirty cup at the fish store. If I ever have room and/or time, I would take some of those poor guys home. :(

Right now I have a purple/red betta named "Grapes." He's really beautiful, metallic purple body and red fins. I'll post some pics of him soon. I really like the metallic blue and teal ones too. Not a huge fan of the all red ones though.

Jan 13, 2006
Colorado
i go by both, im very fond of the pastel ones but if they have deformed or undergrown finnage, they are from a low quality stock and will never be their full potential. i will browse all the bettas in the petstores, and if there are none tat really catch my eye, then i dont buy, i wait for that perfect one to come along, before i commit to buying.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi Bettaray. When I first bought bettas, I looked at both color and finnage. Now, I usually try to find one that has broken fins or some disability then heal it back to health. It's more challenging. I just know that no one is going to pick the fish that don't have the best look so I usually take the worst looking one and bring it home to nurse. I just picked one up a couple of weeks ago, short fins and he has improved tremendously. I still can't tell if the fish is a short finned betta or if they will grow but his color has definitely improved. Good luck!

Sep 6, 2006
St Louis
Hey that's really cool, FishWhisperer, good for you. I wish I had the skills to do it. How often do you do that? Do you have lots of "reformed" betas around the house or do you give them away once they're all better and beautiful?

Personally I look for both, color and finnage. Of course I only have the one right now.

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
I go for personality. :p Here's my Betta (Toby)

:p He was flaring at his reflection.
Ooops I forgot his mate. She doesnt have a name yet either. Ideas???

sry not the best pic but its the only one I have and shes not cooperating right now.

Last edited:
Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Hi usacutie81. Actually I just started it and have been successful both times. It's a new challenge for me. I do like your idea though. A friend has a birthday in November so I may just pick one that needs help, get it healthy and give it to her next month. She wants a fish anyway so what do I have to lose. Thanks for the idea. Currently I only have four bettas.

Sep 10, 2004
Texas
Visit site
Fish Geek, she looks like a Tyra to me - Ty for short.

usacutie81, my co-worker gave me that name. I took care of her betta for about a week (which ended up being about a month). He was losing his color and lifeless. I fixed him right up. The first thing she noticed when she finally picked him up was his color. He was darker. She also noticed he was more active. He is still alive. That was about two and half years ago. Time flies.