Fire Eel

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
Here he is!!!

*SUNSMILE* Hi I have cleaned out my tank and now have a 160 gallon empty tank ready for my new pet. I am getting an 18" fire eel at my LFS. I am so excited and have been reading up on it for weeks now. I was wondering if any of you have any info to share with me. It would be greatly appreciated :D Here is a low quality pic of the tank. Thanks to ALL

Attachments

Last edited:
Aug 28, 2005
London, UK
Wow! Such a handsome eel! And the akselotti is cute (sorry dunno how to spell it).
Does TML, or anybody else know how to make sure the eels don't escape? I am getting my eels (Anguilla Anguilla) in a few weeks, and have heard too many stories of eels escaping from tanks! On the top glass of my tank, there is 2 triangular shaped holes in the corners. These are meant for cords,tubes for filter etc that go into tank. But they are big enuff for the eel to go through them! How and with what material do I block them? Is there some sort of strong net? Maybe metallic one, that's not harmfull for fish? Hope somebody can help me out on this.Thanks in advance

IvannaFish

Medium Fish
Aug 8, 2005
Texas
*PEACE!* I used plastic mesh netting to cover my holes. I have the same problem on my tank. At night he is constantly checking out the tank and I just know he is planning the escape. It is my worst fear to wake up and find him DOA. Good luck to you!

TLM4x4

Large Fish
Jul 21, 2005
southern oregon coast
AwwwwwwW!! Im sure your new fishies will be SO happy in their new home...good thinking with the nylon netting over the tank holes. I always just used tinfoil taped over them but I like your idea better! Good Luck! ;)