First betta questions

Jul 10, 2003
Milwaukee WI
Visit site
Howdy,

I have just gotten a male betta in my 2.5 gallon freshwater tank. He was hiding in the pet store tank, but on the way home, he was swimming like a mad man all over his little travel cup. When I got him home, and was doing the water temp. equalizer steps (hold travel cup in tank water to avoid temp shock). He was trying to swim through the bottom of the cup. Anyways, this being my first fish I have a few questions.

1. I gave him some food when he got in the tank because I read somewhere that you should feed them a little right when they get in your tank. He ate 6-7 Wardley mini floating betta food pellet. Did I give him too much or not enough? Also how many times a day do you feed your little guy and how much?

2. The tank has a Tetra wisper filter, even on its lowest setting my little guy swims down by the inlet for the pump and has a hell of a time getting away, I rush to unplug the pump because I am afraid he will tire out. What would you do? Do I even need to run the pump 24 hours a day?

Thanks in advanced for your replies.

Mar 11, 2003
1. Usually when you get a new fish, you don't have to feed it right away because they are a little hesitant to eat. But no big the fish will eat if it wants to eat when you first get it. I feed my male (also in a 2.5 gallon) 4 pellets 2 times a day. So eight all together. Some people just feed their bettas every other day, or every third day. I suggest you feed him 4 pellets 2 times a day like I do.

2. What you need to do with your filter is either a) get a smaller filter, likea wisper micro filter, or b) put a chunk of clean filter floss (or polyfil, which is usually used to stuff pillows) on the intake area. This will allow your water to be cleaned and your fish to be safe. And yes, you do need your filter on all the time.

Alexa

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
I feed my bettas twice a day, 4 in morning, 3 in evening. Bettas are not strong swimmers to start off with, but your betta will get stronger and learn the 'spots' of the tank. PG has the idea with the cotton, or maybe a (clean) pot base with polyfill.

Mar 11, 2003
That would be fine as long as its allowing the waste and uneaten food into that area so it can be filtered. But becareful about piling rocks, they have been known to fall and kill bettas and other critters that you might have.

Alexa