First Coral for 29g

Jun 29, 2008
PA
Greetings All- I am considering my first coral for my 29g tank. I would like a coral that can survive under a 'normal' aquarium light. Any suggestions? THanks. -Matt

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
I feed my sun coral mysis.....target fed with a turkey baster....every other day or so.....the rest of the time it opens every night just to get what it can from the water column....

Jun 29, 2008
PA
i feed my damsel and clownfish mysis so this should work well.

does everyone agree that this could work in my 29g tank with the 'normal' lighting i mentioned above?

any other corals that do not need photosynthesis to survive?

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2008
PA
i feed my fish every night, well i usually feed 6 days a week.

how many hours should the light be on for these corals? I usually keep mine on for about 6 hours.

also are there any specific handling instructions that you recommend?

1979camaro

Ultimate Fish
Oct 22, 2002
San Ramon, CA
As mentioned, these are not photosynthetic so lighting is pretty much irrelevant. Instead, you need to target feed (not just feed the tank) each polyp/head regularly. Some people do it daily, others alternating days, others a couple times a week. Whatever the case, find a schedule and stick to it.

Jun 29, 2008
PA
got it. i may change my feeeding schedule to just beofre bed (aka lights off) since it appears that the coral is active/open when it is dark and will take food at that time.

also, have you had any issues with your CUC and this coral?

Thanks for all your help!!!

Joe Fish

Superstar Fish
Apr 21, 2006
Penn State
josy.isa-geek.com
I feed mine every 3 days. The easiest way for me was to cut off the top of a 2-liter bottle then stick it over it. Then I just baste the mysis inside it. My shrimp and fish quickly take all the mysis from the sun coral if i don't...

You MIGHT be ok with shrooms. They probably won't color as nicely though. I have a shroom rock under a 15 watt NO bulb and they are doing fine. I do have them in the upper half of the tank though...

strout

Superstar Fish
Dec 21, 2008
Just a thought, I would like to see some of the senior fish in here post some pics of their tank, corals, I am sure you have in the past, but I havent seen them. I love to look at the pics.