First fish: I got a Betta!

LarZ

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Hello everyone. I registered a while back when I was ready to get my first aquarium. That fell through, and until recently, I had almost given up on the idea. Today, my boss gives me a canister of Betta food (Tetra BettaMin Tropical Medley), and tells me to do something with it, so I bought a Betta :D He's currently living in a 2.5 gallon tank, and he will be getting some more plants tomorrow (he loves the one I have in there now). I still have not figured out a name for him. The best part is, now that my Mom has seen the little guy, she is talking about having me set up a 20-30 gallon tank in our living room :D

Anyway, enough talk. Time for a picture!

Big Vine

Elite Fish
Feb 7, 2006
Florida
Oh wow, that's fantastic! Welcome aboard. :)
Not sure about a name for him, but your new betta looks stunning, by the way.

LarZ said:
The best part is, now that my Mom has seen the little guy, she is talking about having me set up a 20-30 gallon tank in our living room :D
Holy smokes...that's great news!
You gotta jump on that pronto, amigo---plant that 'multiple-tank-syndrome seed' as quickly as you can before she has time to change her mind, lol. ;)

BV

LarZ

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks :D I wish I could take a better picture of him. In good lighting, the colors are amazing.

I found a 55 gallon tank for cheap on Craigslist. I think I'm gonna have to jump on it, and hope she is open to having something that big around :D

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
Woah, nice colors on that betta.

IMO, the 55 is overkill for a small fish such as a betta. Unless you're planning to create a community, I wouldn't go for it. Even then, there'd be compatibility issues and territorial issues.

I'm not saying don't get the cheap 55. Hell, if I had the space and money, I'd get that 55 along with some saulosi. Maybe you can have a separate tank for the betta, something a little smaller.

It's a she? Are you sure it's not a he?

LarZ

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
Thanks. He's definitely a he.

The 55 would be for other fish. My Betta would stay in the 2.5. Whatever big tank I get would be set up as a normal community tank (I think that's what it's called).

LarZ

New Fish
Jan 1, 2006
UPDATE!

It wasn't even 24 hours, and he's getting a new home. My cousin found out I got a fish, so she gave me an old aquarium set-up she had. It's a 10g tank with a light, heater, filter, top, and air pump. She also threw in some fake plants, and a fake wood cave thingy. I've got it filled 2/3 of the way, and I figure I can add the water from his original tank to fill it properly. Then I'll add in his gravel, and his plant, and he'll be set. There are already 4 other live plants in there waiting for him (no fake plants for my fish!).

I can't wait to get him all set in his new home :D

Helena21

Superstar Fish
Oct 7, 2005
Essex, England
Last edited:
May 1, 2007
MI
Ya, cycle the tank first or your heading for a disaster. What plants do you have? They might need a stronger light bulb and a CO2 injector. You seem to be like most beginners and are so excited (which is great) about your new fish that you haven't done the proper research on keeping an aqarium. I'm going to give you some websites that I want you to read. Don't make the same mistakes as many of us (like myself) when we first started out.
AquariumCorner How to cycle a tank properly.
AquariumCorner The truth about bettas.
Diseases Diseases.
AquariumCorner Just in case you want to get goldfish read this.
AquariumCorner
AquariumCorner
AquariumCorner
AquariumCorner
AquariumCorner
AquariumCorner
AquariumCorner
Sorry, I'm not trying to overwhelm you. Spread this reading out if you need to just make sure you read the first 3 preferably 4 before you do anything else. Just make sure you read all the rest before you buy another fish.

Last edited: