First SW tank in 2 years....

I just finalized a sweet deal with a guy from work:

72gal Bow tank w/ wood stand and glass covers, PC Light (old one, might not use), About 100lbs of formerly live rock, Protein Skimmer, Ehiem Cannister Filter, heater... and assorted other stuff like test kits, specific gravity meter, etc...

$350!

Now... what to do? If I purchase a newer and updated light fixture (with moonlight prefferably), I am leaning towards a full on reef tank with very few fish (I love Gobies...)

I currently have a 10gal community tank (probably gonna go) and a 20gal planted tank (definately keeping that one), but I think I have the time and patience to tanke care of a reef tank.

There's only one thing... I am probably movign in a year or less, do you think I should wait? I am debating storing the tank in my basement until I move so that when I set it up, I won't have to disturb it.

What do you think?

supra1997

Large Fish
Feb 16, 2008
Oceanside, CA
www.rdubphoto.com
Moving

If you do everything right, you shouldn't have any problems. I have moved tons of tanks ranging from 2.5 gallons to 125 gallons. Just move the tank when you can just focus on it and it only. Tear down, setup and everything else should be done as soon as possible. I moved all of my other stuff first, then lastly brought my tanks in and started setting them up and getting it all back to the way it was before. 0 Fatalities....

Good luck and I look forward to seeing pics of the new setup....

Lorna

Elite Fish
Mar 3, 2005
NE Indiana
And if really concerned you could always do a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) until you move. They are more forgiving and you would only have te fish to worry about during the move

TRe

Elite Fish
Feb 20, 2005
ft. lauderdale
And if really concerned you could always do a fish only with live rock (FOWLR) until you move. They are more forgiving and you would only have te fish to worry about during the move
thats a pretty good idea plus it gives u a chance to get your feet wet again... fyi ive kept all kinds of lps and softies under pc's ;)

OK... I was going to pick up the tank today, but everyone involved, including the guy I'm getting it from made arrests last night, so they are still at work (I got out though...hehe!)

So we're on for tomorrow barring any craziness at work. Furthermore, I am setting it up, although I plan on waiting a few weeks or so to get it going (that will probably change...)

My goal is a full-on reef. I've been brushing up with tons of reading and can't see the point of doing anything else and then converting it.

I'll start a journal as soon as I get it running.