First tank 50 gallon tall *freshwater* want to make sure I am doing things right

Joeyb1731

Large Fish
Jan 20, 2009
Oceanside NY
Hi all, ok Im a little bit obsessed with my tank and making sure its perfect. I spend hours a day online looking up everything you can think of. Im set on making sure my tank is perfect. I was given a 50 gallon tall tank by my boss. I put in a penguin bio-wheel 350 filter with 4 cartriges in it, I got a 300 watt submersible heater. I put some rocks and fake plants and a statue head in there with brown and grey gravel. I ran the filter in the tank for about 48 hours. I took my water to the store to do a proper test and all was good. I got the frozen bio-spira for freshwater tanks and 1 red tailed botia, and 1 jellybean parrot, I put most of the bio-spira in (about 75% of the bottle b/c it was up to 75 gallons) I then adjusted my new fish to the temp and PH and put them in. The fish seem great, I did read that the red tail botia likes to have more then 1 so tonite I went out and bought another to be in there. I also put the rest of the bio-spira in this morning. I bought some frozen brine shrimp tonite as well. I just want to make sure everything im doing is right and if anyone thinks I should do something different. Im gonna take it slow and stick with these 3 for a while.

I also wanted to know the best way to feed the fish the frozen brine
and should I put like plants in there? any more rocks? driftwood? I just feel like i should be doing more

I hope I dont sound like a lunatic *twirlysmi thanks

TMony

Large Fish
Nov 16, 2008
Hi and Welcome . . .
I would suggest you read through all the stickies at the beginning of this forum.
There is a lot of helpful information to get you going on the right track.
I would also make it a priority to get a master test kit as soon as you are able, so you can test your own water regularly.

PCFishGuy

Medium Fish
Dec 25, 2008
Port Charlotte Fla
Hi and welcome, i would also second the notion on reading the stickey's.
and purchese a quality test kit of your own, that will allow you to keep a closer eye on your tank for yourself

and most importantly have some fun with it.

and welcome, great bunch here, dont be afraid so seek out opinions, just like belly buttons, everyone has one.

To feed the frozen brine shrimp take a cup with some tank water in it. Defrost the brine shrimp in the cup then add into the tank a little at a time. And welcome to the tank! Oh and I don't know if this is true, but what I was told once you open that bio spira stuff you should dump all of it in because once it is opened the bacteria inside dies quickly. And it doesn't hurt to dump the whole bottle in a 50 gallon tank, too much good bacteria isn't going to hurt the tank. Just incase you ever use that stuff again. Hopefully, after reading some posts on here you can master cycling your tank properly.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
it takes a while to cycle because you have to grow the bacteria... she added it already ready to go... hopefully it works fine. I think live plants may be eaten by the parrot but I would say more decorations the better, or however you want it as long as the fish feel secure.

Whiskers

Large Fish
Feb 29, 2008
central Michigan USA
welcome to the tank. your not a lunatic, you just share the same disease as the rest of us hahaha. if i remember correctly the bio-spira should have been added to your tank 24 to 48 hrs before your fish to help get the bacteria seeded in the filter medium. but i think you will be ok. as mentioned you could have dumped the whole container of bio-spira into you tank with out a problem. if (again) i remember correctly the biggest thing about the bacteria in the bio-spira is that it needed to be kept refrigrated before and after opening (if, as you had done and not used the whole package). keep reading the stickies, researching and asking questions. alot of ppl here with a vast range of knowledge. i think your off to a good start to having some happy fish.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
I was just going to add that when you get a tank. You need to clean it and get all the proper stuff for it (depending on size of tank) heater, filter system, maybe gravel cleaner at bottom, some in a form of gravel, decorations, and the proper amonia and test kits that test everything. You need to read the stickys at the top of the other page of forums. Read how to do fishless cycle.. its best way in many opinions. Also once its tested fine with the strips then add the fish properly to the tank like needed. And then just observe your tank often to just check on things. Many things can go wrong by decos putting in stuff in the water to hurt the fish, to fish being mean, and fish having diseases... so on and so on... just read read read! If you need more info just search google

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
Sounds like you are off to a good start. Be careful with your stocking. You may want to read up on parrots, especially the "jelllybean" dyed variety, there are a lot of objections to them in the fish world.