First Tank, Looking for advice.

Mar 24, 2006
Kansas
Ok, I bought my first Salt tank while I was on spring break. It's an acrylic 65 gallon with the built in wet/dry in the rear of the tank. It came complete with stand, hood, lighting, live rock, water...whole 9 yards.

My first ? is... When I got it the pump was burned out (Rio 1700, 650Gph). My friend that got me interested in salt told me to get 1000+ Gph. So I ordered and installed a Via 3600 (1050 Gph). My question is, is this too high for the filter to keep up and also too high circulation period?

shwnicus

Large Fish
Feb 22, 2006
Kirkwood, MO
Hi and welcome!

to answer your question, we need to know what kind of tank you plan to run. if you are planning to use live rock as your biological filter, it really doesn't matter, the sump ends up being a convenient place for heater, etc. i've never been a fan of the rio pumps, keep in mind the head height rating for the pump to see what kind of power you are actually getting, you can always split the return feed on a big pump to add more current over the LR. if you do use the live rock, i suggest that you remove the bioballs or whatever filter media is in there, it will end up being a nitrate factory.

even though you have the whole thing, you still need to allow your LR to cycle, you will get some die off from transport. also, check to make sure your lighting is sufficient to the tank you wish to have. fish-only-with-live-rock (FOWLR) it doens't matter, but read up if you want corals.

good luck!

Mar 24, 2006
Kansas
Sorry. Forgot to mention my Plans. FOWLR w/2 Perc Clowns, Court Jester Goby, Flame angel and a Fairy Wrasse. Only thing close to corals I'm planning is some feather dusters and possibly a carpet anenome for the clowns, but not sure on that yet.

Didn't come with skimmer. But I was concerned on the water moving too fast through the wet/dry to do any good.

PS-Not german, Nickname for a Marine!

S.Reef

Superstar Fish
Dec 1, 2003
Michigan
If you stick with the stocking list you have planned I dont see a need for the biological media in the back of the filter, I would just run the live rock and remove the media. I dont know how much space you have back in the filter but you should think about looking into a protein skimmer to place back there, finally 1000gph is fine.