First tank since slaying the Goldfish

Sep 5, 2009
Springfield, MA
Hello everyone,
First time owner of an aquarium since turning 10 years old. I picked up a 40g tank from a co-worker. Transferred some fake rocks, plants, and the bio-wheel from the healthy tank. No fish were included. They went into his new tank. I went out and had to buy a new filter (Mainlander 280), thermostat, and aggregates.
Currently I have added 2 Red SwordTail Fish and 1 Golden Sunfin. Waiting for the tank to fully cycle before adding any more. I have done some research but of course being new I don't know the best places to read up on the different types of fish.
Biggest question I have is the type of bottom feeders to get for my tank. I have a Hexagon tank that has a basic base dimension of 2' x 2'. Of course I am looking to keep my tank as clean as possible, but don't want to have competition between 2 Plexo's. Also looking for a good recommendation for some snails to help clean the tall walls of this tank.
I know this is just the intro area, and I will continue to research more through the site in order to answer my own questions, but just looking for some good leads... Thanks

Last edited: