First Tank water change.

Aug 4, 2008
It's been two weeks since we brought our new/used tank home and 50% water change. So tomorrow we're doing our 1st two week water change. Yippie! (Yes, looking forward to it.. I know, I'm sick)

~30% water change seems like a good number. I'll be using the LFS treated water. It has lower PH and MUCH lower GH & KH.

Also going to add couple live plants. 1st time for us and going to stumble though it a little bit.

Also going to move some stuff around in the tank. Our blue cray has made underneath a big rock his new home. So the leaning rock tower will be placed directly on the bottom glass (instead of on top of the substrate) to prevent a death by falling rocks.. lol..

So, onto the questions...

LFS treated water, what precautions should I do with the water before I dump it into my tank? I'm leaning heavily towards their treated water because the PH of my tap is 8.4 or higher, and the KH and GH are off the charts.. (KH 12+, GH 30+ :O ) Hoping the treated water will make life a little bit easier for the fish/plants.

Live Plants. Well, we’re going to try. Start off with one or two hearty plants and monitor closely. No interest in CO2 or upgrading light at the moment.
How should live plants be introduced into the tank? Just plant them and be done?

Welcoming all suggestions!

And thanks in advance for your help ! *celebrate

Last edited:
Jun 21, 2008
My LFS claims that it's water is safe to go straight in the tank, if yours does too, I would think it would be ok. Mine uses RO water and adds in a little bit of salt and some stuff to bring the pH to 7.0, so it's good to go. You should make sure the temperature is the same though, other than that, I would think it would be tank ready if that's what they market it as. I don't know anything about plants though, sorry. Good luck!