first water change

Qwoz

Small Fish
Feb 18, 2009
within the next 2 days I will be doing my first water change (removing 25 percent of the water). I was wondering how I need to do this. Do I leave the fish in the tank and do i just dump fresh tap water into the tank? Do I need the tap water to be at a correct temperature before adding it to the tank?

Jun 21, 2008
Here's an article that explains the process pretty well. In general, siphon the water out while vacuuming the gravel, then add in the new water (with water conditioner already in it and matched to the temp of the tank). You can also scrub down decorations with a toothbrush and rinse your filter media in either tank water that you pull out, or dechlorinated clean water, NEVER tap water. So, to answer your questions, yes, leave the fish in, and yes, match the temp of the tank. Also, for future reference if you do a simple google search on these types of questions before you ask them you can do some quick reading yourself. This will enable you to ask more specific questions about things you still don't understand, and then we know that you've done what research you can on your own and people are more inclined to help you. http://www.cichlid-forum.com/articles/water_changes.php
It also helps if, when someone posts a suggestion for you, your response isn't "lol, you're wrong", which is basically what you said to my first response to one of your earlier posts. I'm just saying. You'll get a lot further by listening and then asking more questions, and responding to our questions than you will by ignoring/mocking us. Not trying to be mean, I just want you to get the best experience possible.

Qwoz

Small Fish
Feb 18, 2009
ok thanks for the information, but your wrong... haha jk. How should I go about matching the water temperature of the new water to the tank water?

ccondardo

Small Fish
Feb 21, 2009
i usually just touch my finger to the water in the tank, and try to eyeball it (but by feeling i dno if theres an expression for that) to the temp in the sink and just adjust till its about the same.

Jun 21, 2008
You can do it that way or you can use a thermometer. I have mine sitting beforehand so I heat part of it up in the microwave and then add that back in until it's close.

MissFishy

Superstar Fish
Aug 10, 2006
Michigan
The goal is not to shock your fish with too hot or too cold water being added to the tank. I use my finger to test. Add the water conditioner to the tap water BEFORE you add the new water to the tank.

Monoxide

Large Fish
Dec 19, 2008
Like they said You don't want to shock/kill finish. Done very easily. Anyways you can use a thermometer and then feel with fingers for while.. so you can get use by touch... Also syphon is good to use if not 5 gal bucket.. Some people add the water to the tank.. and use the RIGHT STUFF to get chlorine out (alot of people use wrong stuff/not good product stuff), make sure you treat the water with right amount.. not to little.. Also clean gravel good.. I always slush rocks around to get food. And finally don't suck up fish. Some don't move.

brian1973

Superstar Fish
Jan 20, 2008
Corpus Christi, Texas
Like they said You don't want to shock/kill finish. Done very easily. Anyways you can use a thermometer and then feel with fingers for while.. so you can get use by touch... Also syphon is good to use if not 5 gal bucket.. Some people add the water to the tank.. and use the RIGHT STUFF to get chlorine out (alot of people use wrong stuff/not good product stuff), make sure you treat the water with right amount.. not to little.. Also clean gravel good.. I always slush rocks around to get food. And finally don't suck up fish. Some don't move.
Out of curiousity what is the "wrong stuff"?

I use a python so I add water and then dechlorinator (usually prime) as I fill. If I added dechlorinator before I added water I would have a room full of buckets and trash cans..lol