fish are dying

Mel28

New Fish
Nov 26, 2005
:confused: I have a 55 gallon aquarium with plenty of live rock, testings are good. I recently purchased a Sailfin tang that within 2 weeks bloated up and died. Now my royal gramma is dead. Have had this fish for 5 months among several others and no problems. Pet shop recently recommended keeping salinity a little higher than we were, could this be the problem? or something else?

OCCFan023

Superstar Fish
Jul 29, 2004
New Jersey
can you guve us some specs on the tank.

filtration
amount of rock
any other fish?
any corals?

Was the sailfin acting normally when you first got him or did he show signs of illness throughout the tenure he was alive? Also how long after the sailfin died did the gramma die?

Mel28

New Fish
Nov 26, 2005
As far as the kind of filter and protein skimmer, not sure. My husband generally cares for the equipment,but I can find out. We also have a powerhead to move water. I have 2 percula clowns, spotfin lion fish, yellow tang, coral beauty angel fish, and the royal gramma before today. It was about a week after the sailfin tang died that the royal gramma died. We just recently got the coral beauty. There is no coral, just some polyps.

dbacksrat

Superstar Fish
Jun 3, 2003
Glendale, AZ
Visit site
like occ said, we need to know what other fish you had...also, did you quarantine him? it's likely that he brought something into your tank that could have been prevented with a simple quarantine

one more thing: a sailfin tang needs a lot of swim room, at least six feet (maybe 125 gallons minimum)

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
How often water changes? What salinity? how big are the fish?

My guess is the yellow tang killed the sailfin though the bloating might indicate a bacterial infection. The gramma? How are the other fish?