Fish Balloon.......

Aug 26, 2006
New here. I moved a 55 gal tank of various fish into a 3200 gal. Pond. The water was circulated for 29 days prior with bio load established. Circulation and current are good. Fish transfer went good and no floaters. Fish were 2 18" mud cats, 2 7 year old lucky feeder gold fish, a fancy schubunkian (sp"?) gold fish and 3 koi( 21", 12"x2). All are doing ok except the schubunkian has turned into a softball. It is fully round to the point that the scales are starting to poke away from the body. He hasn't been at the feeding ring and I suspect that he has engourged on some snails and alage. All the other fish are progressing well but I am very concerned about this 6" round softball sized freakish one. Any ideas??

Jennifer

Large Fish
May 11, 2006
Guelph, ON
I agree, it sounds like drospy. I had a fish a few weeks ago suffering from it but I did manage to treat him in time and he is fine now. If you still have the 55gallon set up, without other fish in it, you could try to treat your fish in there...although he could still die if he's been sick a while.