Fish being ridiculed

platy guy

Small Fish
Jan 14, 2007
Capreol Ontario Canada
Any idea what's going on in my tank? I have four red platies and two swordtails. Lately the platies have been doing nothing but attacking the younger of the two sword tails- even the other swordtail goes after him sometimes. Any suggestions as to why they're being bullies?

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
how big is your tank?
perhaps its a bit crowded for them.
it might be that he is sick and thier picking on him because hes weak
id say seperate him if you can, if you cant put something in the tank so they dont have to see eachother all day long.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
do you have any decor or plants in your tank that could keep the fish from seeing one another?

and trapping the one fish that is most aggressive doesnt help because there are 4 others who are. so if you have to resort to trapping, net the one being abused by the others.

but also if it is a female they they might be picking on her because shes the only female. livebearers are normally not aggressive.

what are some things the others are doing to him?

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Have you tested your water? Are you sure the sword being chased is not a female? Platies and swords can interbreed. Occasionally, platies can be punks -- I had a colony of X. variatus once I couldn't put with anything. If the sword is joining in tho, I would explore other reasons. What are the dimensions of this tank? As has been suggested, have you tried breaking up the fishes' sight lines a bit?

dogdoc

Large Fish
Sep 6, 2005
I have a blue mickey-mouse platy that is a punk. Named him Osama because he spent most of his time hiding in a cave and terrorizing any fish that came too close. He was in a 10 gal with another platy and a couple of cories.

He got relocated to the 75 at home. The rainbows, gouramis, and loaches set him straight really quickly.

Fuzz16

Superstar Fish
Oct 20, 2006
Wellsville, KS
you might just have a lot of "mean" fish. just get a breeder net for the bullied one. setting up a new tank will take to long and the stress put onto your little swordtail could lead to ick or something else more fatal.
if you do decide to set up a new tank then youd have to cycle it for at least three to four days before you could put your fish in to do a fish cycle, which can stress your fish even more.

Seleya

Superstar Fish
Nov 22, 2004
Cape Cod, MA
Visit site
Do you have nitrate and nitrite readings? Your tank is 26 gallons (not much different than you thought but just so you know) Do you have a picture of the victim? You're positive it is a male? How many female platies and swords are in the tank? What is the ratio?