fish composition advice

kdorre

New Fish
Apr 14, 2009
New Zealand
Hi everyone. I have just got myself tank and I would like to get some advice of the composition of the fish that I should get. It’s a tall tank approx 16 inches wide but can hold 30 gallons. It’s basically an ICBM in my living room. Anywho, I know this limits me to the number of fish considerably, so what I am looking for a composition of breeds that will generally spread themselves out through the tanks height and live well together. For example a couple of corys at the bottom, some tetra’s/guppies/harlequins in the middle and maybe 1 or 2 angels for the top layer.

Has anyone got any recommendations?

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
Hi everyone. I have just got myself tank and I would like to get some advice of the composition of the fish that I should get. It’s a tall tank approx 16 inches wide but can hold 30 gallons. It’s basically an ICBM in my living room. Anywho, I know this limits me to the number of fish considerably, so what I am looking for a composition of breeds that will generally spread themselves out through the tanks height and live well together. For example a couple of corys at the bottom, some tetra’s/guppies/harlequins in the middle and maybe 1 or 2 angels for the top layer.

Has anyone got any recommendations?
I think you answered your own question. The tank is 30G, but the fact that it's only 16 inches wide really limits you to the less active, more docile fish. Anything that needs swim room like danios, barbs, etc will be cramped in your tank. You're list sounds perfectly fine though

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
Welcome to the tank!!

As already stated I think you have supplied a pretty good list. I think that searching for the list of fish to purchase is half the fun of setting up a new tank. Also, if you research the needs of the fish(swimming space, size, water parameters needed) prior to purchase you will be better suited to take care of your fish. Before you get too far do some research on here and read the stickies in the freshwater section, paying close attention to the one on cycling your tank. The more knowledge you have the more enjoyable your experience will be this hobby. Ask as many questions as you can on here too, there are a lot of real knowledgable on this site.

Dec 8, 2005
Harrison Twp. Michigan
All of those sound good imo, but beware that the angels might outgrow the tank. Many people keep angels in a 30, myself included, but there comes a point where they WILL out grow the tank, or require that you remove some other tankmates to give them more room.