Fish Cycling or Fishless Cycling?

New Fish
Apr 13, 2009
I was just wondering which is the best way to go, I've read that fish less cycling can take a month or longer and the long term results might not be the same as if you used actual fish in the process.

I have a 16 gallon bow front tank, I have filled it added declorinator, installed the filter, submersible heater, and a under gravel bubbler, I setup plants, and have a couple of decorations where the fish can hide out. The water temp was high but has been slowly coming down and now is about 78, which I figure is ideal now, it was at 85 on Sunday night. and it has been running since Sunday night.

my girlfriend is getting ansy and is asking when can we put some fish in the tank, I explained to her the chemical breakdown, of Amonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates and how its important the tank be "brokein" before we can start adding fish.

Our plan is to get some community fish, some Neon Tetras, Glo-Light Tetras, maybe a few Glo-Fish

and I really would like to get a Red Tail black shark but don't think it would be good to put it with the other fish listed I've read of people doing it with no problems and I've read that its a big no no to put them with smaller community fish.

So I was going to go with 2-4 Zebra Danios and put them in the tank to begin Cycling but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be cruel to put them through the process if fishless cycling is a better way to go thats why I'm hear asking for opinions.

any help would be great guys thanks in advance and sorry about the long post just a newbie and wanted to bring everyone up to where I''m currently at.

jo3olous

Large Fish
Aug 6, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I was just wondering which is the best way to go, I've read that fish less cycling can take a month or longer and the long term results might not be the same as if you used actual fish in the process.

I have a 16 gallon bow front tank, I have filled it added declorinator, installed the filter, submersible heater, and a under gravel bubbler, I setup plants, and have a couple of decorations where the fish can hide out. The water temp was high but has been slowly coming down and now is about 78, which I figure is ideal now, it was at 85 on Sunday night. and it has been running since Sunday night.

my girlfriend is getting ansy and is asking when can we put some fish in the tank, I explained to her the chemical breakdown, of Amonia, Nitrite, and Nitrates and how its important the tank be "brokein" before we can start adding fish.

Our plan is to get some community fish, some Neon Tetras, Glo-Light Tetras, maybe a few Glo-Fish

and I really would like to get a Red Tail black shark but don't think it would be good to put it with the other fish listed I've read of people doing it with no problems and I've read that its a big no no to put them with smaller community fish.

So I was going to go with 2-4 Zebra Danios and put them in the tank to begin Cycling but I wanted to make sure it wouldn't be cruel to put them through the process if fishless cycling is a better way to go thats why I'm hear asking for opinions.

any help would be great guys thanks in advance and sorry about the long post just a newbie and wanted to bring everyone up to where I''m currently at.
welcome
16G is too small for a redtail shark. your community idea sounds fine though.
My recommendation would be to have 1 school of 1 type of fish as I am not sure the different types will school together. So I would go with 5-6 of 1 type. I would not recommend getting 2 schools of the fish you mentioned because they dwell in the same parts of the tank, and they would become cramped possibly fin-nipping/bullying for that space (the fish you mentioned for the most part like the mid/top area of the tank).

You should do this:
1 type of fish as a school (so glofish or tetras)
small bottom feeders (you could go with a dwarf pleco but they aren't exactly common in chain fish stores, I would say you could get 3-4 ottos)
and depending on the adult size of the schooling fish, if they grow only to 1-2 inches max you might consider a centerpiece like a dwarf gourami or something.

*Also about fishless/fish-in cycling. Fishless is faster. True it does take about a month when adding artificial bacteria. Fish-in cycling however takes longer and can be a challenge to keep the fish alive in the process. When you do fish-in the ammonia goes sky high because bacteria to break it down has not developed yet. This is helped by doing water changes during a fish-in cycle. The problem with that is when you make water changes you prolong the cycle, creating a mini-cycle everytime. If you do not change the water, the fish get ammonia poisoning (gasping for air at the top/red gills... to death).

hope this helps!

TropicAZ

Small Fish
Apr 16, 2009
Phoenix AZ
I agree with jo3olous. I started with a fish-in cycle, and I regret it alot! It's been about 7 weeks now, and it's still trying to cycle. I've lost one in the process, and that could have easily been avoided!

Just take your time, use a bacteria supplement, and when the time is right, add the fish.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
I lost a lot with my first fish-in cycle to ammonia and ich. It took a good 7-9 weeks to cycle. MY second larger tank was a fishless cycle and it took 3 weeks and I have only lost one fish, but it wasn't due to water conditions. (I have mutant java moss). Just go out and buy a bottle of pure ammonia and start the cycle now. Whiles it is cycling you will have tons of time to research further and find what you really want and what will really work well in your tank. I like jo's idea of a school of tetras, ottos, and a gourami or something like that. I actually have a real similar setup in my 16.

Moshi-Cat

Medium Fish
Apr 28, 2009
Pinellas Park, FL
Either way requires a good ammount of patience, something most newbies don't seem to mave much of.

I started my 10g out with a single betta. I waited a good month and a half before adding more fish, dispite the prodding of my, then, roommates.

New Fish
Apr 13, 2009
I appreciate all the feedback guys, Does anyone have any suggestions as far as Water testing kits go? I've seen kit and strips that you submerge in the water and it will tell you everything.

Not sure what were going to do yet, Guy at the pet store told me a few Zebra Danios would be fine to use said they are extremely hardy and should be fine as long as I don't put too many of them in at first. wait a month or two then introduce more fish to the tank.

I'm sure I'll have more questions for you guys down the road thanks again

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
pet store people just want to make a sale now. Do a fishless cycle cause you can add more ammonia than naturally occurring, which will grow bacteria that much faster. Get the drop test kits, like the API complete master kit, you'll use it all at one time or another.

Mar 13, 2009
Poconos, PA
Great info above and I agree but I just wanted to point out unwritten's suggestion of "while the tank is cycling you can research which fish you want to add" .
That is great advice because imre I've already changed my mind on the stock a few times without getting stuck with something (like a fish that will outgrow my tank for example).

It does take some homework to ensure success and happiness with this process. Fishless cycling is the way to go.

unwritten law

Superstar Fish
Sep 2, 2008
DC
Not only did I get stuck with barbs in a tank too small for them during a fishless cycle but then I got stuck with them in my large tank when I upgraded and wish I could have planned the tank with out those in mind.