Fish Diet

May 30, 2008
Midland, MI
As I do more research I get more ideas in my head. Seems a lot of websites are pretty vague in their descriptions, so I ask you this...... I have read that fish need a variety of foods in their diet, including veggies. The articles I viewed didn't mention what type of veggie to use. I am assuming an organic lettuce or something along those lines. Should I break the lettuce up, or hang a big chunk in the tank for the fish to nibble off of. My filter is a hang on back filter if that helps. I have been putting flakes, cichlid pellets, and tubifex worms in the tank, all of which has been eaten, but I want to make sure my fish have a diverse diet.

Lakea

Large Fish
Oct 14, 2006
Texas
I feed my fish romaine lettuce, cucumbers, zucchini, squash. It really depends on the fish, some fish won't touch veggies. You can blanch by boiling it few a few minutes so the veggies will sink. I just toss the whole cucumber or other in, for lettuce I put in a small piece of leave, I really don't prefer lettuce though. They also sell veggies clips you can use. Some people don't blanch their veggies, its takes out a lot of nutrients, you can put veggies in raw but blanching makes it sink.

I don't know how long you should leave veggies in, but for cucumbers (which I use most often) I leave them for two days, they are usually eaten before then, my guppies love cucumber. You will probably want to take the rind off as fish don't eat that.

Also I have heard for plecos (and I don't know if it works on other fish) you can soak the veggies in garlic to entice them to eat. At first fish may not recognize the veggie as a food source so it may take a couple of attempts to feed them.

Also I have been told with oscars you can feed them fruits and nuts also if they will take it. I don't know anything about feeding fish fruits or nuts though, never tried.

Last edited:

TabMorte

Superstar Fish
Jan 17, 2008
My fish LOVE cucumber. I put thick slices in raw with out the rind and just put a pebble on top to weight it down. It's ALWAYS gone by morning.