fish food

bekigirlie

Small Fish
Sep 19, 2006
i've been just feeding my fish flake food. should i add a little variety in their lives with maybe brine shrimp or something else???

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
I feed my fish daily flake staples. Many other aquarists use live food because it can enhance the fish's look and definately is healthy. Moreover, it is supposed to encourage growth.

However, there is also the frozen live food alternative. I feed my fish daily flakes, but once in a while I mix it up with frozen bloodworms. And for my bottom fish (as well as the others who like it), I feed algae wafers.

FishLuvr

Large Fish
Jun 19, 2005
Pittsburgh, Pa
my feeding schedule is as follows,
mon-thursday a pinch of tropical flakes before i leave for work and a pinch after i get home
Friday - a pinch of spirulina flakes (for vegetables in thier diet) before and after work
Saturday - frozen Blood worms, one feeding,
Sunday - frozen brine shrimp, one feeding. (i might get these live if i make it to the lfs)

And yes you can get all of that at petco, petsmart, petland.

Panther28

Superstar Fish
Jun 7, 2006
Fremont, CA 94536
FishLuvr said:
my feeding schedule is as follows,
mon-thursday a pinch of tropical flakes before i leave for work and a pinch after i get home
Friday - a pinch of spirulina flakes (for vegetables in thier diet) before and after work
Saturday - frozen Blood worms, one feeding,
Sunday - frozen brine shrimp, one feeding. (i might get these live if i make it to the lfs)

And yes you can get all of that at petco, petsmart, petland.

WOW. Your fish have a better diet then I do. Good work FishLuvr. I wish some one would feed me like that. (just Jk)

Feb 10, 2006
Bay Area, CA
You can get all the food that comes packaged at Petsmart, Petco, and Petland(?).

I have seen crickets sold at Petsmart, but no other live food other than that.

My lfs manager feeds his expensive fish these thin black worms. I'm not sure how he raises them, but its $1 for a spoonfull.

Milo

Large Fish
Jun 29, 2006
Brampton, Ontario
I feed my guys a mix of everything. For the most part they have been eating wardly's premium flake food, but i like to mix it up alot by throwing in some other food. I had some sort of sticks that they loved, and after water changes they get some brine shrimp. Think of eating the same thing EVERY DAY FOR YOU ENTIRE LIFE. Not that fun.

Mahamotorworks

Superstar Fish
Aug 26, 2006
Thule, Greenland
www.myspace.com
I use tropical flakes Daily. About 2 to 3 times a week I will throw in some alge wafers. 1 to 2 times a week shrimp pellets. and 1 to 2 times a week frozen blood worms or brine shrimp.

I bought most of mine at petsmart. I bought the "lunch box" frozen food it has frozen veges and blood worms and brine shrimp. My fish love the veges I have to look and see if I can just buy it seperate.

Just mix it up. I know I dont like eating the smae thing every day.

MAHA

FishGeek

Elite Fish
May 13, 2005
South Carolina
My fish get a mix up of different foods. I have freeze-dryed bloodworms, tubiflex worms, brine shrimp, krill, ocean plankton. I also have granules for each tank. And in te freezer I have bloodworms, tubiflex worms, mysis shrimp, mosquito larvae, cyclopeeze, daphnia, krill, silversides, emerald entree and I think thats it. :) A varied diet will make for a healthier, more active and more colorful fish. So yes you should mix up their diet.

FishGeek said:
...I have freeze-dryed bloodworms, tubiflex worms, brine shrimp, krill, ocean plankton...granules for each tank...bloodworms, tubiflex worms, mysis shrimp, mosquito larvae, cyclopeeze, daphnia, krill, silversides, emerald entree and I think thats it. :)
HOLY COW...

i just feed my guppies flakes as a staple, and sometimes (like once a month) some brine shrimp. plus, they get whatever my ACF or allenni dont get. FB gets krill and brine, and blue gets algae wafers, brine, and krill.

Jayrod7

Large Fish
Dec 1, 2005
Omaha, Nebraska
in the cabnet under my 29 i have about 10 different foods, plus i have a brineshrimp hatchery and some frozen foods. when its time to feed i randomly grab one of the packages, i have 2 things of flakes so probability makes me get the flakes about 3 times a week, the rest is bloodworms/plankton/tubiflex worms/brine shrimp/krill/mosquito larvae, iv collected some free samples over time too so i use that once in a while to see what happens =)

Oct 4, 2006
how much flake food?

I think I read on a flake food can somewhere 1 flake per fish 3 times a day. It doesn't say what kind of fish though.

It seems to me that the molly and platys I have would eat more than tetras.

Should I just put as much flake food in the tank that they will eat in three minutes? That is alot more than one flake per fish.

20g tank: 1 dalmation molly, 2 platy, 2 black skirted tetra, white cloud, 2 small tetra, 2 'lemon' algea eaters.

Katie217

Superstar Fish
Jul 15, 2006
Florida
well all of my fish eat more then 1 flake, depending on the amount of fish in the tank, but a bunch of flakes about the size of a penny in the palm of ur hand is what i do