fish for 15 gallons

Feb 7, 2005
hi! just wanted to ask as to what fish can i put in a 15 gallon long tank. any suggestions? i was hoping for a single fish to put in. eventually i would transfer it to a bigger tank if the fish suggested would grow big. thanks:)

lordroad

Large Fish
Sep 2, 2004
Shelby, NC
www.joshday.com
stingrays are not suitable for anything below a 75 gallon, and that's a growout tank. A 100 gallon system with extra wide walls is a must for full grown rays.... sorry to bear that bad news, but I'm a stingray lover myself and I am planning a 125 gallon tank for one specimen at some point down the road. :)

Even the so-called "Teacup rays" will max out in a foot or a foot in a half in diameter... this isn't counting their length from nose to stinger.

A breeding pair of either convict or kribensis cichlids will work out and be a fun tank.

Last edited:

FroggyFox

Forum Manager
May 16, 2003
Colorado
A 15 long would work well for little fish that like to swim around a lot...such as danios or corydoras.

As for a single fish that would be happy in a 15 for awhile...I can't really think of any. A betta? A dwarf gourami? Any of the normal fish that like being alone...most dont get very big...and the ones that do get too big for a 15 grow fast enough that you wouldn't want to bother putting them in a 15.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
Yeah, I like the idea of getting a shark. A big one. When he gets too big for the tank, you can either move him inot "the other tank" you plan on having, or make shark fin soup out of him. It is a delicacy...

dss2004

Large Fish
Oct 1, 2004
Frisco, Texas
www.freewebs.com
Do not get that shark. I hope that Mr. Parker was joking. That fish reaches 24 inches in length and should probably be housed in a 150+ gallon aquarium. Stick with something that can grow and stay in the 15 gallon tank. Maybe a couple of kribs, apistos, or rams if you want cichlids. You could also try some shell dwellers or something but I wouldn't put in any fish that reach over 2-3 inches in adulthood. Just my preference but smaller fish look better in smaller tanks.

NoDeltaH2O

Superstar Fish
Feb 17, 2005
SC
yeah, i was kinda' joking about getting the shark and making soup out of his dorsal fin. Aquarium sharks would not get big enough dorsal fins to get even a small bowl of sharkfin soup. I agree that smaller tanks are meant for smaller fish. If all you have is a 15 gallon tank right now then get small fish, that way a year from now if you are broke, you will not be forced to either spend money on a larger tank or get rid of your oversized fish.

The right combination of small fish can be as entertaining to watch as a large fish can be. I have a 20gallon tank full of shrimp and loaches, glass catfish, otos, etc and people just love to sit and stare into the tank whenever they come over (you can click on the image in my signature to take a look at it).

It is generally a BAD IDEA to get a juvenile BIG fish and put it in a small tank. If you want big fish, get a big tank first.

Last edited:
Feb 7, 2005
i was really hoping for the shark...hehehe... j/k. thanks for all the suggestions. i'm now leaning towards tiger barbs after having seen an aquarium setup full of them. guess it wouldn't hurt putting them in a 15 gallon long?