Fish for a 24 gallon tall tank?

Rares

New Fish
Dec 30, 2009
Well, I know 24 gallons seems odd and well.. it is I don't know why its this size but I got it for free from my uncle so I'm not complaining. Its a tall tank so I'm trying to decide what to get.

I go back and forth with the idea of many different fish and think I have settled on the two that I want. The first would be a Pleco. I know they get large so I was going to try to find a smaller breed that doesn't get over what, 8 inches? As for the other fish I was thinking a shoal of Tiger Barbs. I think that 5-7 would be good since they like to school and keep odd numbers. The only issue is that I thought Tiger Barbs like to hang out near the bottom of the tank so that would be kind of a waste of space in the tank and a little crowded for them. Am I right or wrong?

Sep 6, 2009
Detroit
I have green tiger barbs (5) and they are very cool...no they will hang out all over...they like to pick off rocks and gravel so you will see them at the bottom but for the most part they'll hang in the middle. That pleco will be too big for a tall tank..I have a 29 tall and it only measures 24 " wide...not much bigger than a 10gal...if you want a bigger fish that does hang at the bottom..as well as likes open swim areas try a chiclid..I have a kribensis in mine w/ some platy's and the barbs and everybody gets along good..platy's are livebearers though so if you get a few chances are the will breed. Tall tanks are cool but you don't want to overstock or get too big of a fish..smaller more active species will enjoy that up and down open water.

Rares

New Fish
Dec 30, 2009
24 x 12 x 24, has 24 gallons on water in it now. Which is kind of annoying because my uncle said its a 33g.

Last edited:
Sep 6, 2009
Detroit
aqadvisor.com is pretty cool site that some1 here designed...it lets you add the dimensions of your tank w/ the filter you are using with charts of species of fish and numbers of want to add to give you an accurate reading of what you can add to the tank.

Rares

New Fish
Dec 30, 2009
Thanks for the site but I have one issue, like you said here on there site it says the tank is 29.9 gallons but its almost to the top with 24 gallons in it. I have about 14.5 pounds of gravel at the bottom and enough room for 1 gallon before the water level was at the rim but I don't see how the one gallon plus the gravel (and one fake rock) would take up 5 gallons of water.