fish gasping

sketchymak

Small Fish
Sep 12, 2004
Visit site
I have a 35 gallon tank with 3 red swords, 3 mollies, 3 platies, 5 zebra danios, and 1 gourami. The tank is currently at 78 degrees with .1 or less no2 and .1 or less ammonia. I have two filters, one of which is connected to an air pump and bubbles air through the water. I have recently noticed that the mollies and swords are spending time near the surface of the water, looking like they are gulping for air. What could the problem be?

p.s

Do I have room for some cories? Maybe 5?

Avalon

Superstar Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Ft. Worth, TX
www.davidressel.com
Usually, this is a sign of lack of oxygen, but given the fish in question, you may be ok. Mollies & Platies usually hang out around the surface, and will skim the surface and eat the bio-film. My mollies do it all the time, and when I kept platies, they did the same.

A lack of oxygen will result in the heavy breathing of all fish. Some fish will not go to the top, but most will. If your other fish seem fine, then chances are your mollies & platies are fine as well. Your gourami may do the same, but they can breath open air, and it should only be temporary. Mollies & platies may hang out at the surface far more often.

Ammonia and nitrite toxicity will result in erratic behavior, but not necessarily hanging out at the surface. If your other fish are acting normal, your fish are fine.

And yes, you should be able to keep 5 cories without problems. Just make sure your tank is fully cycled and stable before you put them in.

Iggy

Superstar Fish
Jun 25, 2003
Leduc, AB, Canada
Visit site
Typically higher Nitrite causes fish to gasp - do a good sized water change to be sure.
Also, pH crashes can trigger the same reaction - same fix - do a water change an monitor your parameters.

I don't think its an O2 issue. Yes, 5 cories sould be fine for your stock, but wait till your sure the current bio-load is not causing the gasping issues.