Fish ID help/advice

I'm starting a 30 gallon salt tank, and although a tropical vet, I'm new to the Salt world. After the tank is set up (cycling and, patience, patience, patience) I plan on getting just a few fish (this will be a fish only set up).

One fish that is a "must" is the orange clown, or as my 2 year old will tell you, the "nemo" fish. My wife would like something that is "cobalt blue" and perhaps with yellow trim. I've seen - I think - Tangs that are like this, but am aware this type is not a good choice for my size tank.

Can anyone tell me a type of fish that fits this description and would be ok in a 30GL and co-exist with a clown? (the fish, not me). Thanks!

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
Either the yellow-tail blue damsel or the orange-tail blue damsel will fit the bill for the yellow trim and blue color and the ability to get along with the clownfish. I would suggest that after you do a fishless cycle, you add the clownfish first.....even though clowns can hold their own, it is a good idea to give them the upper hand with damsels whenever possible. I would also suggest that you buy a damsel smaller than the size of the clownfish.....
Good luck, have patience and read, read, read!!!!:D

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
Also I would say a small pygmy angel would do the trick also. I just added a tomotoe clown inot my tank, and my 2 stripe damsels don't mess with him. Even during feeding time. Not sure about the percula clown though.

sinasster

Large Fish
Nov 21, 2002
North Las Vegas, Nevada
Visit site
You may have heard that damsels are aggressive. If not than you should know that they are!! very aggressive. They will taunt your fish non stop until they die. There are acceptions of course.

Clown fish and chromis are both part of the damsel family. And both are peaceful. Also the yellow tail damsel is peaceful and would be perfect with your percula clown (nemo). The orange tail damsel is a color variation of a Blue damsel also known as a blue devil.... for obvious reasons. So stay away from him.... At least untill you start up a larger fish-only tank (cause they are one of my favorite fish!!)

The salt water fish ratio is 10 fold over fresh water or 1" of fish for 10 gallons. But you should be ok with 1 Percula clown and 1 yellow tail damsel.

Thanks for everyone's replies. Yeah, I've heard (re: damsels) the "they are aggressive and mean" stories from my LFS. But in the same breath, "they are the best starter fish for your tank". Huh? You want me to start out a tank with something that no one else gets along with? Right. You guys trying to make a sale or what?

As Florida (Gator) fans, we were excited about the orange tailed breed, but thanks for the tip. Looks like it will be the yellow-tailed. Thanks again everyone, I'm seeing why people say "once you go saltwater, you never go back". It's truly a great experience (he states before any real "life" is placed in!)

NTidd

Large Fish
Oct 22, 2002
Kalamazoo, MI
The damsels are a good starter fish because they are super hardy, you can get non aggressive ones, just have to do the research, or stick to something like green chromis'.

tango339

Small Fish
Jun 17, 2003
Visit site
Please don't waste your time with damsels. All they do is kill much
more more pricey and bigger fish. A common clown is great.
I would would do lots of testing after you get the clown then if
the nitrite level is low add a small tang. Tangs are tetorial and
are happy with small spaces. Try a regal tang. Mine is doing just
fine in a 29g.

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
I'm a damsel fan! There, I said it. A very misaligned species that is more often than not used for cycling then tossed away....

I can say from personal experience, that an orange tail damsel will get along with a percula or ocellaris clown if the order they are added is correct. I have an orange tail and a ocellaris in the same tank and they get along just fine. The clown was in the tank for over a month before the damsel was introduced.
Yellow tailed damsels are even less aggressive than the orange and are able to be housed with very shy species like firefish if the order of introduction is correct. I can't stress that last part enough.

As for dwarf angels, well, I really would not recommend one for a newly set up tank. They really need a mature, stable tank to thrive.
And please, do not get ANY kind of tang for a 29g.....they will simply outgrow it too fast......

toodles

Large Fish
Jan 6, 2003
USA
Visit site
What books are you reading Tango?

The biggest problem with tangs is their adult size and their need to swim. You could keep a tang in a 20g while it's being quarantined, but I wouldn't try to keep one in such a small tank for any real length of time. Most tangs are ich magnets.....called that because when stressed that's the first thing that hits them....and being in a small tank for a long period of time can be stressful for them.

wayne

Elite Fish
Oct 22, 2002
It's possible, but nott a good idea. They like really good water conditions in a well matured tank, and like to browse around a lot. Which books are you reading - all mine say 55 and up.
And what are you going to do when it becomes a larger tang? That's the real queston - that fish should live for a good 10 years.